What We’re Looking For
Reporting to the CEO, the COO will be her second-in-command and a critical member of our leadership team. The ideal candidate must have a track record of leading diverse business teams and scaling business operations in low- and middle-income countries in Africa and/or Asia, as well as leading through and bringing structure to ambiguity. It is essential that s/he demonstrate excellent management skills, business acumen, and an ability to marry the growth of a sustainable business with impact.
As our first COO, you must be willing to roll up your sleeves, build and implement teams, structures and processes, and bring best practices to all areas of our core business. You will be responsible for leading our efforts to strengthen our culture, communication, decision making, and engagement across the organization. This is especially important given that we are a globally distributed and remote organization.
This is a remote role, and entails global travel.
Your High-Level Responsibilities
- Scale a people-centric, sustainable & high-impact business that goes beyond customer satisfaction to support African and Asian countries’ to leverage data to strengthen healthcare delivery
- Increase adoption of our solutions by identifying and addressing barriers to scale, including shaping market and regulatory conditions to reduce the friction to acquire, use, and drive tangible impact with our solutions
- Drive growth and sustainability via new sales, customer retention, and renewals; while also improving gross product margins
- Analyze and improve Nexleaf’s business model, operating rhythms, and processes
- Attract, retain, and develop our talented, globally distributed, and diverse team members
- Build an integrated organization with cross-functional collaboration, communication, and strong engagement.
- Guide the leadership team to operate as a cohesive unit and to make smart, well-informed decisions, and excel as people leaders
- Support leaders to ensure we are tracking the appropriate metrics and setting the right goals, bringing performance visibility into all levels
- Lead, empower, and develop the leaders of Customer, Impact & Market Shaping, Finance & Administration, People, and Operations, ensuring we have the right people in the right roles to maximize the contributions and impact of their teams.
This is however an incomplete list. Ultimately, you will constantly evolve your role in order to refine and improve the business in the way that is most needed to maximize financial sustainability and impact.
Why we’ll hire you:
- Have 10+ years of hands-on operations and leadership experience in a small to medium organization (less than 200 people), with a track record of growing teams and integrating functions, including sales, customer success, finance, HR, and administration.
- Have delivered solutions to government agencies in low- and middle-income countries in Africa and/or Asia.
- Are an extreme self-starter with the ability to operate in highly ambiguous contexts and to bring structure to novel situations.
- Encourage autonomy through shared context (over delegation), influence (over authority), and decision making at the edges.
- Believe that the best path for feedback is direct, regular, and omni-directional.
- Leverage data to drive decision making, and can make difficult tradeoffs, even with incomplete information.
- Are an expert facilitator, and enjoy coaching teams to work through hard decisions
- Have experience with manufacturing and supply chain operations
- Amazing start-up culture that’s purpose-driven and highly collaborative
- Fully remote company
- Fast-paced, high performing team focused on learning and getting better every day
- Benefits including health and generous PTO (including 1 week summer break and 1 week winter break)
- Flexible work hours