- Oversight of technical support to the field Logistics teams including advice on their transactional processes.
- Provide support to field teams through assessment, capacity building, coaching and mentoring.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring quality in logistics support across the Kenya programme.
- To ensure overall coordination and management of all logistic aspects of the Oxfam program. Follows Oxfam logistics procedures as well as develop innovative country-specific procedures where applicable.
- To develop a three-year logistics strategy for the programme and ensure its implementation.
- To produce and interpret periodic reports for internal country level management as well as upward to Regional and Oxford Level.
- Participate in BST team meeting and through the Operations manager, provide regular updates for the CMT on progress, plans, challenges/risks and management decisions to mitigate risks.
- Ensures cost effectiveness across the supply chain management, including development of plans and priorities, follow up and measurement of progress.
- As appropriate, attend related forums on logistics and keep good relations with counterparts including donors, UN, suppliers and Government on logistics management related issues.
- Ensure the implementation of actions in support of Oxfam values and policy, including gender and diversity mainstreaming.
- Any other duties in the nature and scope of the position.
Planning & learning
- Work with Programme Managers/Coordinators to identify logistical needs, develop strategies and operational plans to meet them.
- Support managers and proactively be involved in other aspects of programme planning such as proposal writing and budgeting.
- Compile the programme logistical plans for each project in a comprehensive country logistics plan for management team and Nairobi procurement team.
- Prepare country-level logistics summary and analysis reports.
- Undertake short periods of research or project work to document experiences and build up institutional learning on logistical aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Assisting and facilitating in any new programme set-up by providing support to the relevant field base.
- Make regular support visits and recommendations to project offices to ensure logistical procedures (in line with OGB policies) are being adhered to.
Supply Chain Management, Communications and Administration
- Ensures effectiveness by team and systems across the Supply Chain to attain cost effectiveness, efficiency, accountability and timely supply, procurement of goods and services and value for money.
- Regular reviews and refreshment of the Supplier database to ensure organisation is getting value for money and meeting internal and external policies and laws.
- Maintain oversight of transport requirements including transport planning, vehicle procurements, fleet management, i.e. fuel, repairs.
- Facilitate implementation of innovations, both driven at country and regional level, that ensures effective logistics and properties management is in place at all times.
- Ensure that procurement, warehouse management and transport policies and fleet management procedures are in place and adhered to at all times across all offices.
- Monitoring the programming and installation of communications systems as well as training on the use of and establishing communications routines and protocols for programme teams.
- Ensure proper recording and reporting on assets usage, asset disposal and management, stock items, transport management and health and safety issues.
- Analysis, supervision and monitoring of supplies, stocks and assets throughout the programme. Furthermore, the monitoring of requisitions, local purchase, clearance, transport, warehousing (including storage and stock control systems), the issuing of supplies, etc.
- Ensure adherence to quality administrative procedures and policies within Oxfam.
- Lead and offer advice on how to manage and maintain a simple but effective administrative system for the whole office.
- Ensure that Oxfam complies with relevant registration procedures and our presence in the country is legitimate, and acknowledged by the appropriate ministries
Programmes and Compliance
- Work closely with programme and other programme teams to ensure timely availability of all organizational logistical needs.
- Maintain an overview of Oxfam policy, systems and procedures relevant to logistics, and ensure that developments are communicated and implemented appropriately through regular reviews.
- Aligns logistics systems and procedures with Organizational needs and ensures proactive linkages into other aspects of programme management, including finance.
- Communicate and work regularly with the Regional Logistics Manager to keep an update of Oxfam GB policies and strategy directions.
- Advise Oxfam of any changes/development in government policies with regard to the logistics function that can affect the implementation of Oxfam’s programmes in Kenya.
- Take responsibility for the achievement of minimum logistics standards in the programme. This will include ensuring appropriate practice in requisitioning, local and international procurements, purchase, clearance, transport, warehousing (including storage and stock control systems) and the issuing of supplies.
- In close collaboration with the Finance department, assist in the monitoring of programme expenditure, the transparency of systems and procedures in place and the compliance with order processing requirements of donor contracts.
- To ensure that a proper record of expenditures, receipts, requisitions, purchase order forms, waybills, and all other documents are kept.
- Be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol).
- To lead in the review and updating of all logistics profiles within the programme and support in the development of clear Performance Development Plans (PDP) and progression planning for all logistics personnel in field offices.
- Capacity building of Logistics staff in partner organisations, assisting in review and development of their Logistics manual. Ensuring their understanding of donor requirements related to logistics function.
- To continuously assess and recommend training and skills upgrades for all logistics staff in all offices. This will also be achieved through mentoring and supervision and also through other appropriate learning forums and methods designated by the Logistics Coordinator.
- Support field managers in maintaining required logistics human resource capacities at all times.
- A university degree with a specialization in Procurement and Logistics.
- Minimum of 5 years’ extensive experience in logistics management and co-ordination (strategy development, purchasing and supply, warehousing, team support, vehicle fleet management, security awareness and communications) in an NGO.
- Proven experience in humanitarian or development work.
- Experience of management/supervisory responsibilities.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills combined with the ability and desire to further develop local staff members.
- Experience working in an environment in which the security and political situation is volatile in a role which involved security management.
- A proven record of effective management of people, resources and processes.
- Well-developed inter-personal skills combined with the ability and desire to further develop local staff members.
- Flexible and able to live and work in stressful and insecure environment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Organized and able to keep clear and concise records.
- Proven computer literacy.
- Financial management ability.
- Analytical skills.
- General practical competencies in vehicle maintenance and building skills would be an advantage.
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Oxfam.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Diplomacy, tact and communication and negotiation skills.
- To be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes.
You must be logged in to post a comment.