Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
- Provides specialized advice and technical support to the Director-General in identifying, analyzing, and monitoring political developments and emerging issues with respect to the implementation of the Director-General’s mandate.
- Brings to the attention of the Director-General, through the Chief of Staff, all matters requiring his/her personal attention, makes recommendations on how those matters might be handled, and ensures appropriate follow-up, as directed.
- Drafts talking points, minutes and analytical reports for the Director-General and senior staff.
- Drafts/reviews correspondence for the Director-General.
- Liaises and maintains close working relationships with all UN and other relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyses political and related events, and prepares analytical reports and papers, with a view to providing early warning advice to senior officials, and recommendations for further action.
- Gathers, selects, and analyses information contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events and trends relating to the Duty Station
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments, monitors national and regional level political developments, and provides inputs on issues to the Director-General and relevant colleagues.
- Monitors actions taken by intergovernmental groups, UN organizations, government, and non- governmental organizations, as well as civil society groups.
- Reviews and monitors activities in the country; assesses trends which might affect the political situation and the political impact of intro-regional issues such as refugees, drug control and natural resources; recommends solutions/action by United Nations.
- Acts as focal point for collection and analyses of information on political issues of assignment.
- Arranges and participates in negotiations and fact-finding missions.
- Meets regularly with operational teams including UN staff and national officials to plan projects and review project activities.
- Provides up-to-date information to senior officials regarding substantive political matters and country or regional issues and makes recommendations on actions to take.
- Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters; briefs representatives and provides, as appropriate suggestions and recommendations.
- Carries out, in consultation with the Chief of the Staff, administrative functions relating to the staff planning and budget.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Shows ability to complete in-depth studies and reach conclusions on possible causes and solutions to political problems in specific areas and/or countries. Shows ability to relate to various issues and perspectives to political, social, economic, and humanitarian programmes in affected countries and areas. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of people in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.Education
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required.