Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
You will report to Africa Lead for Energy Access Work.
As the Programme Specialist – Productive Use of Renewable Energy (PURE), you will be part of the Energy Access for Equitable Development team. You will collaborate with other experts within the program to refine current PURE strategy, and lead in its execution. You will work closely with other experts to undertake research and analysis aimed at informing development of viable and scalable finance and business models for investment in PURE interventions. You will lead engagements with key stakeholders in PURE space, with the main aim of influencing policies and strategies, as well as regulatory interventions necessary for scaling interventions in the sector. You will be supported by various teams from across the institute, including other technical experts from WRI Africa’s energy program, colleagues from our finance center, as well as other relevant programs and teams.
What will you do:
Execution of the Productive Use of Renewable Energy (PURE) portfolio – (50%)
- Lead in the development of research and analysis aimed at identifying barriers to scaling Productive Use of Renewable Energy (PURE) in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
- In close collaboration with the energy access finance team, undertake qualitative research, including economic analysis to better understand and inform designing of PURE interventions
- Lead in quantitative modelling for developing viable and scalable business and finance models for investing in PURE sector
- Facilitate consultations with key stakeholders including mini-grid operators, energy entrepreneurs/investors, renewable energy authorities and philanthropies to conduct analysis on optimal pathway for delivering PURE
- Support sub-national governments from select Sub-Saharan African countries to integrate PURE in their development strategies
- Work with policy makers and planners from strategic ministries and government agencies to identify policy and regulatory interventions needed to accelerate investment in PURE sector
- Contribute to the identification and nurturing of opportunities for cross-programmatic collaboration in driving research on complex, but strategic nexus topics
- Co-develop knowledge products with other teams across the energy program and other teams (e.g., reports, issue briefs, working papers, and technical notes) on energy access
Communication & Engagement – (30%):
- Scope out relevant stakeholders working in the PURE sector, build and maintain collaborations with them
- Facilitate strategic consultations with key stakeholders to explore avenues for accelerating investments in PURE at scale
- Represent WRI in strategic spaces and engagement fora to present the institute’s work on PURE and broader energy access work in SSA
- Work with the Africa Lead – Energy Access, as well as Africa & global communication staff to contribute to sustenance of a compelling and consistent message from our work as a key strategy for impact
- Develop/Co-develop blogs, training materials and other knowledge products (e.g., reports, issue briefs, working papers, and technical notes) on PUREx`
Fundraising – (20%):
- Contribute to development of funding proposals to expand the growing WRI’s work in the PURE space
- Engage with strategic partners including foundations, and other funding institutions to position this body of work for potential financing and alliance building
What will you need:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in energy economics, sustainable energy, public policy, energy systems, or related field, demonstrating significant mastery of analytical methods
- Experience: You have 7+ years of relevant research and analytics experience in a high-caliber environment specifically in the energy field, and with a focus on African country contexts
- Subject matter expertise, preferably in the productive use sector, with a track record of working with key stakeholders in the region, as well as at the global stage.
- Knowledge and understanding of clean energy technologies and systems, energy (access) policy, as well as good understanding of challenges and opportunities.
- Demonstrable experience in conducting stakeholder consultations and other forms of participatory engagement
- Experience in conducting and publishing research on energy access and/or productive use of renewable energy, with a compelling narrative based on quantitative and qualitative data
- Confident writing concise, well-structured documents (in both report and presentation formats) conveying clear but subtle messages
- Demonstrated ability to work well in multi-disciplinary teams, manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, presenting complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and independent thinker
- Experience working with international organizations.
- Languages: Full fluency in English required and second language preferred
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position. WRI is unable to authorize visa work authorization
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of December 6, 2023.