Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
About the Role
The Public Policy & Advocacy Director, Mobile Money is responsible for managing a team of regulatory, policy and advocacy professionals to deliver necessary support to GSMA members and reshape the financial services landscape globally. You will work alongside a global, high-performing, and multi-cultural team.
The Director will be at the forefront of debates about how to regulate new technologies, stimulate innovation, and extend financial services to people in low- and middle-income countries. He/she will need to be agile, responding to policy and regulatory threats swiftly and urgently. The role requires someone comfortable engaging in dialog with high-level professionals and speaking publicly to a broad network of public and private sector actors, including international aid organisations, mobile operators, policy makers, regulators, and fintech companies.
Responsibilities for this role will span the entire breadth of the programme’s policy, regulatory and advocacy activities, including, but not limited to:
- Define the team’s strategic approach towards its objectives and lead the annual business planning exercise to define team objectives and KPIs
- Oversee the maintenance, upkeep, and adoption of key assets including the Mobile Money Regulatory Index and Mobile Money Certification
- Drive a targeted engagement strategy to advance GSMA’s position in the industry with a wide stakeholder base, including regulatory and policy decision makers, mobile money provider executives, bi- and multi-lateral organisations (e.g. AFI and MEFMI), etc.
- Build and manage relationships with operators and other key stakeholders across the industry in order to identify strategic opportunities to provide support and develop initiatives that align with the programme’s core objectives
- Lead regular policy working groups with key members
- Work together with the programme’s MEL Manager to instil a culture of engagement tracking and monitoring to easily identify historical and on-going engagements while monitoring long-term impact
- Identify new regulatory trends, policy innovations and developments to inform a strong research agenda within the team, overseeing market research and analysis, evaluation of regulatory trends, policy innovations and carrying out high level regulatory impact assessments
- Shape global policy issues through written submissions and sustained engagement with global standards setting groups and/or policy and regulatory institutions
- Synthesise key policy and regulatory messages, supporting the industry position and driving financial inclusion, for the M4D leadership and wider team to ensure aligned messaging
- Disseminate industry positions and resources at relevant GSMA events as well as external regional or global events, positioning the Mobile Money programme as a thought-leader within the industry
- Coordinate closely with other GSMA M4D teams and GSMA Regional teams to ensure a coordinated approach to all our work
- You will have a strong foundation of the mobile money industry and a clear understanding of the policy and regulatory landscape across low- and middle-income countries as it relates to this sector. You actively stay up to date on current trends and decisions that affect the mobile money industry, with a proactive and solutions-oriented attitude to support industry players in addressing key challenges in their markets. You are comfortable engaging stakeholders, communicate effectively, and rapidly adapt to different cultures.
We welcome applications from individuals who have the following demonstrated qualifications and skills:
- You are a strategic thinker with the ability to define a strategy to deliver on key objectives and have the capacity to disseminate and implement this strategy through a team
- You have a good understanding of mobile money and the existing financial services landscape for the underserved across low- and middle-income countries and familiarity with the relevant policy and regulatory context in key markets
- You have demonstratable experience in a regulatory function in the telecom or financial sector with additional advocacy experience a plus
- You have experience analysing the business impact of policy and regulatory decisions on the mobile money sector and in designing advocacy campaigns to affect that impact
- You have proven market research and analytical skills, especially the ability to predict and/or assess commercial and economic implications of public policy decisions
- You are able to express complex technical, commercial and policy and regulatory issues in plain language
- You have excellent relationship management skills, are comfortable engaging at the executive and ministerial level, and can manage a diverse set of stakeholders effectively
- You understand the need for, and value of tracking long-term engagements and have experience in doing so
- You are comfortable working in a matrixed structure, with the need to positively influence peers and support cross functional collaboration across the GSMA
- You have the ability to handle pressing deadlines, ambiguity and competing priorities
- You have excellent cultural awareness and the capability to work with globally dispersed teams
- You have experience managing a team, proving the ability to deliver on priority activities through a high-performing team
- English language fluency required; French language fluency desired