IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
|Closing Date:||Please be advised that short-listing will be on a rolling basis until a suitable candidate is identified. Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.|
Title: Locum, Counselor
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade: 6 (Gross monthly KES 150,144.15 or prorated per days worked)
Reports To: Senior Counselor
Supervision Given: None
Requirement: On an as needed basis
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most vulnerable refugees. We work to fill the critical and unmet needs of people affected by war and conflict that have fallen through the net of humanitarian assistance, in particular women, children and urban refugees.
The primary responsibility of the Locum, counselor is to provide mental health support to clients through group work.
Core responsibilities and duties of the position are as follows:
Provision of group counseling services :
- Make the initial call to clients to introduce counseling support services and conduct assessments for individual or couple counseling support;
- In liaison with the Senior Counselor, conduct support group sessions to enhance client’s self-awareness, interpersonal relationship skills, and integration;
- In consultation with the Senior Counselor, conduct group therapy sessions for group members;
- Organise and conduct life skills training for children and youth;
- Make appropriate internal referrals to ensure clients receive holistic services;
- Conduct intake and exit assessments to clients in the counseling groups to identify trends in their wellbeing and evaluate the impact of the counseling interventions;
- Encourage self-reported feedback from about lessons learned after life skill training.
- Participate in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of the counseling interventions;
- Familiarize with Salesforce, TaroWorks and all the counseling assessment tools used by the RufegePoint Counselors;
- Identify trends during group counseling sessions and liaise with the Senior Counselor to design strategies to address identified needs.
- Co-facilitate the virtual counseling sessions in collaboration with the RP Counselors;
- Make timely requisition of airtime and ensure clients receive this in a timely manner;
- Track the airtime and internet bundles received by clients vis-à-vis session attendance, and liaise with the Finance department to facilitate timely payments to the vendor;
- Make individual follow-ups of clients who miss or drop off during sessions and explore their individual challenges.
- Participate in continuous professional development to enhance client’s care;
- Attend monthly external supervision as mandated by the counseling profession and regular internal clinical supervision.
- Draft counseling case notes for each client and take attendance in Taroworks after each group session;
- Maintain participants’ lists in support , therapy groups and Life Skills Training;
- Conduct the intake and exit counseling assessments in TaroWorks and synchronise these on Salesforce;
- Compile and submit the weekly and monthly counseling reports to the Senior Counselor.
- Degree in Counseling studies and at least 1 year of counseling practice or Diploma in counseling with at least 3 years of counseling practice;
- Confidentiality and integrity in the profession.
- Good understanding of trauma, depression and effective approaches for alleviating psychological pain;
- Proven experience initiating and running counseling groups;
- Ability to work with multinational and multilingual clients;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written);
- Registration by relevant regulatory authority;
- Prior experience working with refugees and/or asylum seekers in an urban setting.
- Possess cross cultural counseling skills and experience working with minority groups;
- A flexible approach to work spread throughout the year;
- Ability to multitask and work under minimum supervision;
- Ability to adapt to a fluid environment and think outside the box;
- Ability to conduct group counseling sessions in Kiswahili;
- Certification in Trainer of Trainers;
A Police clearance certificate is required prior to the issuance of a contract.