Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
(Ref. No. NRS/589/112023)
RESEARCH ASSISTANT II
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) is a pan-African Centre of excellence in research for development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of people of the tropics. It does so by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and has operations in more than 40 African countries as well as thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. Employing over 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. For additional information, visit: www.icipe.org
icipe seeks to recruit a Research Assistant II in the Data Management, Modelling and Geo-Information (DMMG) Unit. The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. This is a two-year contract, renewable subject to continued position needs, funding for the position, and performance of the staff member. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To review icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2021–2025, download this at:
Overall Purpose of the Job
The overall objective of this position is to provide technical support to “Crop damage and yield losses due to insect pests under changes in climatic conditions” project by carrying out a variety of semi-field and laboratory-based investigations using insects pests, natural enemies, host plants for measuring and modelling crop yield losses due to insect pests under a warming climate as part of a scientific team.
The successful candidate will undertake the following activities:
- Conduct experiments on temperature and CO2-dependent potential of insect pest to damage the host plant into phytotron and greenhouse.
- Assist in building a crop-insect pest-natural enemy system dynamics model for pest damage yield losses.
- Assist in plants production and insect mass rearing.
- Data collection and entry.
- Any other tasks that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Diploma in general agriculture or related fields. A BSc in statistic or in applied Bioengineering will be an added advantage.
- At least 1 year of experience in a relevant area.
- Experience in insects’ manipulation and rearing.
- Previous experience at an agricultural training center is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of phytotron machine functions.
- Good knowledge of insect rearing in general.
Other Desirable Attributes
- The candidate should be self-driven with a problem-solving personality.
- Ability to work under pressure and even during off hours, weekends, and holidays if necessary.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal/human relation skills.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate simple and complex laboratory equipment.
- Ability to organise one’s work to respect deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Will train interns on the laboratory skills and safety.
- Expected to handle minimal imprest.
- Compile reports and manuscripts papers.
This position reports to the Postdoctoral Fellow, Data Management, Modelling and Geo-Information Unit.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 5th December 2023. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential coverletter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statementillustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that valuesgender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.