IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
Search for Common Ground’s (Search) Africa Program Development Hub is seeking program development interns who will support the team in the design of programs and successful proposals that will contribute to building peace and transforming conflict across the African continent.
The interns will join a high-performing, diverse and dynamic team based across Europe, the US, East and West Africa, who are passionate about designing impactful programs for a portfolio that covers the conflict geographies of the Sahel, the Lake Chad Basin, the Great Lakes, the Horn of Africa and the Sudans, in over 15 countries.
Program development commences with scoping and pre-positioning for potential funding opportunities, and completes with the signing of a project award. Interns will have the opportunity to be involved in the different stages of program development, from contributing to developing fundraising strategies for the different conflict geographies and countries in the region, to proposal writing, and engaging with institutional donors and partners.
Each intern will be assigned a conflict geography within the region, but may be requested to support other geographies within the Africa portfolio.
Please note that this internship is based in Nairobi or Mombasa, Kenya. We are only accepting applications from legal residents in Kenya.
- Assist with the development of grant proposals, including but not limited to writing proposal narratives, developing theories of change, articulating program activities, drafting logical frameworks and copy-editing
- Contribute to the development of up-to-date and accurate context statements through rigorous desk research
- Support the development of fundraising strategies
- Analyze calls for proposals and support the team’s pre-positioning efforts
- Edit proposals and communications materials for clarity and precision
- Attend conferences and policy meetings, representing the team
- Backstop the Africa Program Development Hub and our country offices overseas on a range of logistical and administrative tasks
- Degree in relevant subject (NOTE: undergraduates – juniors and seniors, graduate students, and recent graduates are welcome to apply; school credits can also be arranged for students with their institution)
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills in English
- Demonstrable interest in and knowledge of peacebuilding or international development in Sub-Saharan Africa
- A self-starting, detail-oriented and flexible approach to tasks
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Working proficiency in other languages such as French, Portuguese, Somali
- Experience working at a non-governmental organization/non-profit or similar environment
- Practical experience in program design
- International experience
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and a one-page writing sample in English
This position requires a commitment of no less than 20 hours a week for a minimum of six months, ideally starting on January 9.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.