Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
- Political representation: Represent UNEP in Kenya and raise the profile of UNEP and its programmes, projects and activities in the country; Establish good working relations with the ministry responsible for environment in the country, including its leadership, as well as other government ministries, departments and agencies whose work is relevant to the environment; Identify opportunities for engagement with the government of Kenya, its institutions and officials, the private sector, international organizations active in the country, the private sector and other stakeholders; Gather information on the priorities of Kenya including emerging environmental issues of concern to the country and communicate them to UNEP to support strategic engagement and programming; Work to ensure UNEP and its role as a global leader on environment within the UN system is understood and appreciated in Kenya.
- Programme coordination: Work with Regional Sub-Programme Coordinators, Divisions, Branches and other units of the organization to ensure that national priorities are taken into consideration during programming including project development; Coordinate UNEP’s programmes, projects and other interventions in Kenya and ensure their coherence and visibility; Monitor the implementation of UNEP interventions in Kenya and bring to the attention of the Regional Director and project managers outcomes from monitoring activities; Coordinate UNEP’s inputs and support to national and sub-national processes, events, forums and activities based on request; Publish quarterly reports on UNEP’s presence and work in Kenya.
- UN Country Team: Under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator (UNRC), represent UNEP in the UN Country Team (UNCT) and participate in all UNCT meetings and retreats; Coordinate UNEP’s participation and input in preparation of the Common Country Analysis (CCA) and during all processes for the design and implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) as well as of specific initiatives by the UN Development System in Kenya; Engage in and promote joint programming with other UN agencies; Participate in monitoring and evaluation of the UNCT programmes and projects; Keep the Regional Director updated on activities of the UNCT in Kenya.
- Partnerships Building: Develop partnerships including with government entities, UN agencies, international and regional inter-governmental organizations, international, regional and national non-governmental organizations, private sector, and other major groups and stakeholders to enhance opportunities to address environmental challenges in Kenya, as well as support implementation of UNEP’s Medium Term Strategy and Programme of Work.
- Resource Mobilization: Provide donor relations support and promote strategic partnership; undertake donors mapping, prepare donor profiles, and define and implement a strategic partnership framework; Represent UNEP in the Environment Donor Group in Kenya; Develop positive contacts and working relations with donors and all relevant funding partners; Explore resource mobilization opportunities with government, bilateral and multilateral partners, private sector and others actors; Analyze donor trends (donor policies, sectoral and geographic preferences, etc.); Work with UNEP Divisions to research and develop project concepts to approach potential source of funding in a coordinated manner.
- Advocacy, Communication and Outreach: Conduct environmental advocacy in Kenya; Provide communication and outreach support especially on UNEP campaigns and other communication and outreach activities; Coordinate commemoration of World Environment Day in Kenya as well as other global, regional and national events that commemorate important days of relevance to the environment; Participate in and backstop related processes through which UNEP’s environmental leadership on environmental matters as well as its work can be show-cased.
- Data collection and analysis: In collaboration with the Science-Policy sub-programme and the World Environment Situation Room (WESR), Lead efforts to collect and analyze data on environmental performance in Kenya and provide insights to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensure that the data collected is discoverable, accessible, can be integrated in analyses and is shared.
- Perform any other relevant duties as may be delegated by the Regional Director and senior UNEP management.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of the UN system, including the UN common country programming process; Ability to manage complexities and adapt to changing environment in the One UN context; Focus on impact and results; Ability to operate effectively across organizational and country boundaries. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management; Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations
- COMMUNICATION: Ability to express ideas clearly, concisely and persuasively, including ability to defend and explain difficult issues; Ability to draft/edit a variety of reports on UN policy issues and strategies relevant to own work. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TEAMWORK: Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural , multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; Ability to lead and gain assistant c e and cooperation of others in a team endeavor; Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in a team based information sharing environment. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- LEADERSHIP Establishes and maintains relationship with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Ability to develop strategies and empower others to accomplish objectives and solve problems; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing. Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Ability to appraise performance fairly and mentor staff. Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Environmental Studies, Economics, Development studies, Social Sciences, or related fields is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of (10) years of progressively responsible work in environmental management, policy development or related area is required.
- At least five (5) years experience at the international and/or regional level is required.
- Experience working in the context of delivering as one UN and of collaborating with UN Country Teams are desirable.
- Experience in environmental/natural resources management, in a UN context or international organization context in a developing region of the world is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- Experience in the coordination of programmes is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
Deadline closes 07 October 2023