Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
(Ref. No. IRS/575 /082023 )
SENIOR SCIENTIST (MEDICAL ENTOMOLOGY/ DISEASE ECOLOGY)
International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) is a pan-African Centre of excellence in research for development and capacity building in insect science and its applications. Its mission is to help alleviate poverty, ensure food and nutritional security and improve the overall health status of people of the tropics. It does so by developing and extending management tools and strategies for harmful and useful arthropods, while preserving the natural resource base. Since its establishment in 1970, icipe has become a significant contributor to science and innovation required to meet the health and food security challenges of sub-Saharan Africa. The Centre has achieved this status by developing alternative and environmentally friendly pest and vector management technologies and products that are effective, selective, non-polluting, non-resistance inducing, and affordable to resource-limited rural and urban communities. icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya and has operations in more than 40 African countries as well as thriving partnerships with universities and research organizations across the world. Employing over 500 international and national staff, icipe also has approximately 150 graduate students who contribute to its research portfolio annually. For additional information, visit: www.icipe.org
icipe is seeking to appoint an outstanding, dynamic and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Senior Scientist (Medical Entomology/ Disease Ecology), to provide research and programmatic leadership to the Human Health Theme in support of the achievement of the objectives, vision and mission of the Centre. To review icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2021–2025, download this at: http://www.icipe.org/system/files_force/about/corporate_publications_files/icipe_Vision_and_Strategy _2021-2025.pdf?download=1
The position is tenable in Mbita at the icipe Thomas Odhiambo Campus (ITOC) and will be offered for an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to continued funding and performance of the staff member. A competitive and generous compensation package that includes housing and transport allowances, education allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance cover, and an offshore retirement package (all payable in US Dollars), will be offered to the right candidate. Furthermore, the incumbent will receive paid annual vacation and return airfare for themselves and their dependents to their nominated home base each year. If the successful candidate is appointed from outside Kenya, s/he will be offered support to relocate and settle in Mbita.
Living in Mbita, Kenya
icipe Thomas Odhiambo Campus (ITOC), Mbita is situated on the shores of Lake Victoria, with excellent housing facilities for staff and students. The Campus sits on 24.5 hectares of land, 40% of which consists of experimental fields and buildings with landscaped gardens. ITOC’s research structures include state-of-the-art laboratories and offices, as well as insect and animal-rearing facilities. The Campus also hosts a kindergarten, a primary school, and a Guest House.
Overall purpose of the job
- To be part of a multidisciplinary team providing leadership and research strategy to the Centre in collaboration with icipe’s other Themes and Units.
- To lead the Human Health Theme (HHT) activities at icipe’s Thomas Odhiambo Campus.
- To maintain a portfolio of research that is aligned with icipe’s strategy and goals and integrates with ongoing research at icipe.
- Work in collaboration with colleagues in the Human Health Theme, the icipe leadership team including the Director General (DG), Director of Research and Partnerships (DRP) as well as Heads of Themes and Units to undertake and facilitate research and capacity building activities across the Centre.
- Lead and spearhead the development of a coherent research programme within the Human Health Theme.
- Contribute to enabling a Theme structure to cost-effectively utilise resources to meet icipe’s research, capacity and institutional building needs.
- Guide researchers under their supervision to ensure timely preparation of annual work plans, budgets, scientific and technical reports for donors.
- Actively seek and secure external support to develop and grow a personal research portfolio.
- Ensure that team members continually update skills and methodologies to keep up with global cutting-edge knowledge.
- Promote and establish collaborative linkages with national, regional and international institutions in the relevant fields of research of the Theme.
- Foster a culture of scientific excellence and support development within the Human Health Theme the human resources required now and into the future.
- Contribute to mentoring team members to develop critical skills including resource mobilization, science writing and peer review.
- Ensure the activities undertaken by the research team meets legal and reporting responsibilities to all stakeholders including national licensing authorities and donors.
- Conduct annual plans and performance reviews with the staff under their supervision.
- PhD in Biological or related sciences but preferably with expertise in entomology from a reputable university.
- Ten (10) years of experience gained at a senior level in either a research organization or university.
- Excellent publication track record.
- Track record of writing successful proposals for large grants.
- Proven record of managing large resources (both financial and human) in a research environment.
- Experience in capacity building through supervision and mentorship of MSc and PhD students.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Track record of exemplary leadership qualities are essential.
- High degree of organisation, adaptability and prioritization.
Other desirable attributes
- To make decisions for the research programme, design, lead, define and fulfil the Human Health Theme strategy, and the Centre’s global strategies through the definitions of principles, guidelines and policies for research programmes within the theme.
- Demonstrates science leadership, mentors and trains staff. A high degree of problem-solving, planning and controlling.
- Manage the programme budgets and contribute to the centre’s policies and procedures.
- At least 20 publications with consistent outputs of high-impact papers in respectable peer-reviewed journals.
- Must have significant contribution and a good track record of funded proposals, donor relations and building networks for fundraising.
- Effectively engage with the partners.
- Contribute to the continuity of a vibrant research team through funded projects.
- Contribute to the core budget and sustainability of the centre.
- Participate in different committees and boards, making presentations at key forums, and representing the Centre at various conferences within the donor community.
- Provide support in resource mobilization to other units including quality assurance, information sharing and compliance with donor requirements.
- Outstanding contribution to partnerships including formation of new partners or recuperating of neglected or damaged partnerships.
- Successful leadership in at least one significant contribution to other complex multi-institutional partnerships.
- Build strong relationships with national research leaders.
This position reports to the Head of Human Health Theme.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 2nd October 2023. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter; (b) a detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses); (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications /competencies/ abilities and skills; (d) four (4) published papers relevant to this position.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by Email:
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Consideration for employment is given to qualified applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, religion, disability status, national and ethnic origin, or social status.