IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
The role holder has responsibility for managing all legal risks, providing legal advisory, management and transactional support for the country support functions. When required the role holder will also support the business functions.
- Works with country head of legal, kenya and east africa and other team members to ensure coverage of all legal work which is not specifically aligned to one business, material disputes, hr legal matters, commercial contracts, acquisitions and projects undertaken at country level.
- Proactively engages with the regulators to keep ahead of the regulatory and legislative agenda affecting the business and to effectively appraise the business of any material changes and risks identified as well as conduct training for relevant departments.
- Drives the development and maintenance of good relationships with internal and external business stakeholders at appropriate levels ensuring an open and cooperative environment.
- Executes and provides advisory for transactions and cases in a timely and effective manner.
- Effectively manages the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and negotiating appropriate fee structures for the specific transactions / cases in question.
- Uses technical knowledge of all business products undertaken in kenya to provide sound, technical product, legal and transactional advice to the business and to anticipate the impact of legal developments on the business and communicate such impact to the business.
Legal and product risk
- Leads in the proactive and strategic identification of material legal risks in the business, including those related to products – both existing products and those under development – and customer segments. To provide legal input during product design and drafting of product documentation.
- Influences stakeholders and staff to improve the management of legal risk.
- Contributes to the legal team’s risk governance process through providing a holistic perspective on legal risk policies and procedures and ensuring consistency in the country approach to legal risk management.
- Works with country head of legal, kenya and east africa to manage the process of engaging external counsel, including providing effective instructions to external counsel and when required, negotiating appropriate fee structures for the transactions / cases in question.
- Promote alternative dispute resolution as a means of quick settlement of disputes.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external lawyers agreeing fee structures, billing procedures and levels of service.
- To provide, where appropriate, periodic reports to management on claims, disputes and relevant legal developments
- Drafting, negotiating, amending and reviewing agreements and other documents to ensure that the bank’s interest is protected.
- Attend to legal correspondence, pleadings or orders promptly and proactively ensure all the required documentation is in place.
- Proactively discuss all new litigation with business and agree appropriate action.
- Review progress of outstanding disputes and liaise with and manage external lawyers to ensure effective representation of the company in legal proceedings.
Complexity and judgement
- Application of analytical skills and the application of legal skills are essential
- Appplication of analytical skills and the application of legal skills are essential
- Interpret regulations constructively so as to facilitate business but not so as to breach the spirit of such relations
- Ensuring that the bank acts within the regulations when the regulations are ambigious
Key relationships (internal & external)
- Head of legal, kenya and east africa
- Cfcc (compliance, financial crime and conduct)
- Corporate affairs brand and marketing (cabm)
- Supply chain management (scm)
- Group legal team
- Corporate business
- Retail business
- External lawyers/counsel
- Development of a strong compliance culture
- Litigation management and support
- Management of risk
- Good reputation of the bank
- Timely advice on changes in law and applicability to the bank
- Provide creative assistance on legal issues
- Protection of the bank’s reputation, banks ability to meet legal and regulatory obligations. Minimising risk of bank being used by money launderers.
- Promotion of good corporate governance standards
Our ideal candidate
- Ability to combine strategic perspective with quick execution
- Ability to deliver high quality of work consistently
- Demonstrated track record of creativity, problem solving and follow through
- Effective stakeholder management skills
- Excellent communication skills.
Role specific competencies
- Advocate of the high court of kenya, three years post admission experience
About Standard Chartered
We’re an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we’ve worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you’re looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can’t wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you’ll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance, with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies – everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
Recruitment assessments – some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you’ve applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
Visit our careers website http://www.sc.com/careers
Closing Date 08/Dec/2022, 2:59:00 AM