Tony Blair Institute for Global Change
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Sign Up For Targeted Job Updates Here
- Strategy and Planning: Design, maintain and continually improve: (i) the country strategy for TomP; and (ii) plans and tools to roll out the strategy from one tech domain to another, within one ministry or across government.
- Government Relations: As agreed with the Country Head, maintain trusted relationships with senior politicians in government at key loci including key ministers and special advisors in line with the country project strategy and positioning. Secure mandates with at least one key counterpart as regular contact (as indicated by the current country project and positioning), in service of our mission to support political leaders to achieve results that benefit the people of the country and in service of the Institute’s TomP initiative.
- Execution and Monitoring: Establish, review and maintain project goals, plans, proof points and KPIs. Serve as the focal point for TomP in country, project and output quality control and design tools to support execution.
- Recruitment: support the Country Head on the recruitment of such roles as are required to deliver the government strategy in line with TBI’s programme objective in Kenya
- External Relations (non-governmental): As agreed with the Country Head and in line with the country project strategy and positioning, engage with relevant external stakeholders such as tech hubs/incubators, investors, other not for profit organisations, media, suppliers and agencies.
- Wider organisation: Work closely with the Country Head and Global Director, TomP, and the wider team to scope and explore for project opportunities in Kenya, and report on outcomes and deliverables on a regular basis
- Establish and/or maintain effective and trusted relationships with senior politicians in government, such ministers, and special advisors, supporting the mandate with at least one key counterpart as regular contact.
- Demonstrate tangible results delivered in TomP.
- Ensure expenditure is utilised in line with budget as agreed with the Country Head with robust management accounts and accountability established. Ensure all necessary risk, legal and financial compliance and processes are in place. Ensure adherence to all risk, legal and financial compliance and processes of the Kenya project.
- Support the Ministry of ICT design and set up a Delivery Unit to improve the work value stream that will enhance strategies to resolve tactical impediments, improving the work process for more effective, consistent, and sustainable execution. This will include expert advice on operations, organisational structures, relevant competency requirements, techniques, tools, and methodologies for monitoring and improving the delivery of specific prioritised projects.
- Support in the implementation of pipeline projects for Cloud Infrastructure offer with the ED External Relations and Global Director, Tomorrow Partnership Programme (TomP).
- Work with TBI’s internal Tech teams and Cloud counterparts to define and develop the required collateral which TBI teams and government clients can utilise to advance conversations. Ensure TBI teams are equipped with the materials (decks + written primers) to understand the contextual requirements to land the offer. Support country teams or lead counterpart briefings for governments and other senior stakeholders.
- Contribute to strategic conversations and resulting documentation on the forward looking TBI – digital infrastructure offer.
- Work with the government and internal TBI tech team to define the financial costs /scenarios on cloud offer in the 4-5 target markets; develop a cost modelling tool for TBI teams and their governments to model and plan for financial costs.
- Priority partnerships: In consultation with the CD and ED External Relations lead partnership conversations between Ministry of ICT and TBI around a co-location cloud offering to governments.
- Internal Enablement: Support in leading a global technical enablement session open to all TBI staff; join discussions as needed to bilaterally dig into cloud offering opportunities in tech markets.
- Support the recruit of the teams that will support the Ministry in realising the Government’s digital superhighway commitments under the President’s Economic Transformation Agenda.
- Broader support to Tomorrow Partnership Programme – continue to support recruitment, onboarding for the central enterprise architect advisor role, the head of AgTech, and potential support to the establishment of the internal innovation unit.
We are looking for an experienced leader with a proven track record:
- Experience in business operations, technology, consulting or advisory functions advisory functions and demonstrable experience in technology enterprises or programmes;
- Broad and comprehensive experience in management consulting or government advisory, preferably with the majority focussed on technology and digital sectors;
- With a strong understanding of, and ability to navigate the Kenyan ICT and digital economy eco-system and engage Government machinery, structures and processes;
- Proven ability and experience in achieving results through coordination of teams and individuals; some of whom may be working remotely and or in counterpart organisations;
- An in-depth understanding of the tech policy and regulatory environment in practise
- Proven management skills and the ability to build and inspire teams to achieve exceptional objectives;
- A confident and exceptional communicator and influencer, from board level through to technical level and is adept at managing up and beyond hierarchy;
- Flexible and be adaptable, open to changing approaches in response to changing situations on the ground;
- Proven understanding of the policy context, how to influence policy and the discretion and judgment needed to navigate a complex political environment;
- Holds a bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, Information Technology, Information Systems, or a related field would be an added advantage;
- Prior work with the Government of Kenya is highly desirable;
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Swahili an advantage.
- Right to live and work in Kenya required
You must be logged in to post a comment.