UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Sign Up For Targeted Job Updates Here
- Advance the work of IOC and engage current and potential members and partners in the region within the framework of the IOC. Lead, coordinate, and facilitate the development and implementation of IOC Medium-Term Strategy and Programme and Budget, and global programmes related to ocean research, sustained ocean observations and services, the development of science/policy interface, the generation of scientific knowledge to support sustainable ocean management and capacity development in the region.
- Exercise leadership and strategic thinking in developing, planning and implementing IOC programmes/activities responding to the existing and emerging priority needs and specific interests of Member States in the region and support the implementation of IOCAFRICA workplan as defined by the Sub-Commission.
- Pursue partnerships and resource mobilization opportunities with governments, other UN agencies, the research, development and donor communities, with a view to implementing IOC Medium-Term Strategy, the IOC Capacity Development Strategy and programmes in the region and contributing to the attainment of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Facilitate the coordination of regional activities in support of the UN Decade of Ocean Sciences for Sustainable Development focusing on engagement of ocean stakeholders from science, policy, private sector and civil society, the convening of regional task groups, supporting the design of Decade Actions, and identification of capacity development needs.
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the Regional Secretariat, oversee the Secretariat’s human resources and their performance, prepare and monitor the budget for the Sub-Commission including extrabudgetary contributions, in line with UNESCO’s policies and procedures and Represent IOC, the Sub-Commission and UNESCO at the UN and other partner organizations’ intergovernmental and technical meetings, as appropriate.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
- Professionalism (C)
- Building partnerships (M)
- Driving and managing change (M)
- Strategic thinking (M)
- Making quality decisions (M)
- Managing performance (M)
Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in Marine sciences, environmental sciences or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively relevant professional experience in the field of environmental and/or ocean research, management and capacity development, of which preferably 4 years acquired at international level.
- Experience in coordinating, managing, and implementing international projects or programmes.
- Experience in managing staff and teams.
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of ocean affairs, ocean science and capacity development in the region.
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to identify complex issues, and decide on ways forward respecting the constraints of the organizations involved.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and change management skills.
- Strong programme development and management skills.
- Proven resource mobilization skills and experience.
- Very good communication skills (oral and written) with proven ability to make effective and persuasive oral presentations to both technical and general audiences.
- Proven ability to advocate and negotiate with colleagues, staff, and stakeholders at all levels, internal and external, including building and maintaining partnerships.
- Ability to lead and empower teams and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, Marine Science, Environmental Science or related field.
Skills and Competencies
- Experience at the international level (in the United Nations (UN) system or other international Organisations/bodies).
- Working knowledge of French (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of other official languages of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
You must be logged in to post a comment.