Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Purpose, objectives & expected results
The Purpose Of The Initiative Is To Strengthen Child Related Data Demand, Analysis And Use In Eastern And Southern Africa Towards Evidence-based Policy, Advocacy And Realizing Children Rights While Leaving No One Behind. Recently Completed Censuses In The Region Provide An Opportunity For Further
- Engagement with relevant stakeholders on child rights related data and statistics demand generation
- Support strengthening of capacities on child related data analytics
- Promote the use of census data for child rights monitoring and evidence-based decision making
The expected results of the assignment include a relevant and user-friendly suite of tools which facilitates the creation of child related data products and can be used to achieve the above objectives.
Scope of Work
- The exercise will cover multiple countries within the UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa region, with a focus on Botswana and Zimbabwe. The toolkit development for more than one country in the region allows for opportunities to share lessons and challenges between contexts.
- The country offices will lead the engagement with relevant national counterparts to further unpacking the specifics of the initiative in each country context.
Some Of The Key Stakeholders To Be Considered
- National statistics institution – as lead producer and custodian of Census data
- Ministries of health, education, social affairs, and other relevant ministries
- Civil society organizations and other child rights related organizations
- Local authorities and communities
- Children and youth
- As the toolkit can also be a resource beyond the participating countries, the regional office will act as an overall coordinator and ensure cross country synergies.
- The development of a toolkit for Census analytics for children Census analytics for children includes child related data needs, data review, algorithm development, tool creation, stakeholder engagement and dissemination of the product and accompanying toolkit.
More Specifically, The Contractor Will Carry Out The Following
- Review available and accessible census modules and variables against child relevant indicators
- Develop metadata, codebook and algorithms for the production of child related indicators
- Develop relevant analytical package and tools for generating on-demand statistics for children from Census data
- Engage relevant users-producers at various levels for ensuring relevance and use of the products.
- Design with flexibility to generate online and offline products such as maps and info graphs for use at any aggregation level
- Develop relevant training guides on Census Analytics for Children Toolkit
Desired Competencies, Technical Background And Experience
The candidate should have:
- At least Master’s degree qualifications in statistics, data science, development economics, social statistics, research or similar disciplines. A first level university degree with at least 5 years of experience could also be considered.
- At least 5 years proven experience in development work on data, statistics, and analysis related to child rights and wellbeing.
- Experience in Low and Middle-income country contexts is highly desirable
- Have proven experience working with child related data, statistics and indicators relevant to national policies and strategies.
- Understanding and experience working with censuses and household survey data is required.
- Experience with consultative and participatory approaches in developing guidelines and tools
- Excellent drafting, interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills, and ability to think innovatively and strategically
- Knowledge and experience with open-source software on data analysis, visualization and presentation is required (ex. R, python and relevant libraries).
- Experience in developing bespoke solutions.
- Fluency in English. Working level of French/Portuguese is an advantage.
In addition, the candidate must exhibit the UNICEF Core Values of:
- The consultant should demonstrate the following competencies for the assignment
- Building and maintaining partnership
- Demonstrating self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Innovating and embracing change
- Driving to achieve results for impact
- Thinking and acting strategically
- Working collaboratively with others
- As this is a remote-based consultancy the working hours will be arranged with the consultant – ideally to be available within the core hours of CET/EAT.
- Any planned travel will be by most economical fare and reimbursement will be as per UNICEF policy.
- The consultant is expected to be home based with potential travel (to the participating countries) for a consultation depending on COVID-19 travel restrictions for which the UNICEF office would cover subsistence allowances and travel costs.
- Candidates should provide an all-inclusive cost for the assignment and a 3-day travel plan to Nairobi, Kenya
- Selected candidates are subject to confirmation of fully vaccinated status against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) with a World Health Organization (WHO)-endorsed vaccine, which must be met prior to taking up the assignment. It does not apply to consultants who will work remotely and are not expected to work on or visit UNICEF premises, programme delivery locations or directly interact with communities UNICEF works with, nor to travel to perform functions for UNICEF for the duration of their consultancy contracts.
- The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract.