Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application. DO NOT USE THE SUBMIT CV LINK TO APPLY FOR A JOB!
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Under the overall supervision of the Director, Law Division and the direct supervision of the Head, Programme Delivery and Support Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Medium-term Plan and Programme Budget:
- Reviews, analyses and finalizes the preparation of programme budgets, taking into account recommendations and decisions of United Nations Environmental Assembly.
- Provides substantive support to the Division Management Team in their review of the programme budget.
- Ensures legislative mandates are accurately translated into programme budgets.
- Budget Preparation:
- Reviews and analyses cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from (a) the Law Division’s programmatic aspects; and (b) ensure compliance with medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
- Provides support to managers with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Reviews, analyses and provides input into finalization of programme budget/financial implications.
- Budget Administration:
- Issues allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Monitors budget implementation and recommends reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
- Reviews all requisitions for goods and services to ensure that the correct objects of expenditure have been charged, ensuring availability of funds.
- Administers and monitors extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Prepares relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
- Reviews and makes appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provides substantive support to intergovernmental and legislative bodies.
- Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 110 to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and established regulations and rules.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures;
- Monitors and supervises the work of subordinate staff as required.
- Performs other related duties, as may be assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial principles and practices. Ability to independently conduct research and analysis, formulate options and present conclusions and recommendations. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management is desirable. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree with in combination with an additional two (2) years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable
Job – Specific Qualification
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or other accounting certification is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Work experience with financial systems and financial modules of Enterprise Resource Planning software such as SAP is desirable.
- Work experience with budgetary policies, financial regulations and rules in an international organization is desirable.
- Work experience involving trust fund management, budget preparation, resource planning, monitoring and analysis of budget implementation, accounting, audit, financial reporting or other related areas is desirable.
- Work experience in preparation of written reports, presentations and briefing with financial content and analysis is desirable.
- A minimum of two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.