Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
Sign Up For Targeted Job Updates Here
Within limits of delegated authority, the Security Training Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Manages and leads the team’s implementation of a suite of security training courses and security certification programmes for UNSMS personnel, security personnel and/or managers with security responsibilities in accordance with the Learning and Development Strategy for the Integrity Security Workforce and related Implementation Plan and timelines.
- Monitors and ensures the implementation of programmes at all stages, measuring training project performance using appropriate tools and techniques and escalating implementation difficulties and recommending remedial actions to stakeholders, as needed..
- Prepares reports maintaining comprehensive training documentation and data, incl. for the use of senior management, the Inter-Agency Security Management Network (IASMN), Standing Committee on Learning and Training (SCOLT) and other stakeholders at agreed periods and, as requested.
- Plan, organize, manage and supervise the work of the Team’s work programme and human and financial resources in accordance with the Implementation Plan, providing oversight and ensuring that resources are allocated appropriately so that training is cost-effective and has the maximum operational impact.
- Identifies and analyzes learnings needs in coordination with the Standing Committee on Learning and Training (SCOLT), the Division of Regional Operations (DRO) and the field and the Division of Headquarters Safety and Security Services (DHSSS) ensuring alignment with operational priorities and to ensure the timely selection of training participants as well as joint venture trainers who may be assigned to deliver particular courses. Prepares monitoring reports on staff development and career support programmes.
- Collaborates with other parts of UNDSS to ensure that they are consistent with the overall organizations goals, and that cross cutting issues are incorporated into the design and development of training programmes, including new and updated security policies outcomes of the workforce plan, HR Strategy and Gender Strategy.
- Evaluates, coordinates and monitors training programmes to ensureeffectiveness in learning, impact of staff development and quality assurance and as required recommends ways to enhance effectiveness and impact.
- Ensures the establishment and maintenance of a database to track course participants, performance and expenditure to enable timely reporting to senior management and partners, as requested.
- Supervises and monitors the work of the junior training officers, including managing the performance of the staff on the team, as well as consultants, vendors and member states’ institutions or personnel who may support the portfolio, to ensure that training and development activities are implemented in accordance with the Implementation Plan and established standards.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge in the field of learning or training including design, delivery, management and coordination. Knowledge of diverse delivery methodologies (e.g. online, blended and face-to-face delivery methods). Demonstrated ability to manage programmes, resources and external partnerships or complex contracts with large scale vendors. Excellent drafting and communications skills, both oral and written. Proven ability as a trainer to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing. Provides an environment in which others can talk and act without fear of repercussion; places confidence in and builds trust with colleagues, staff members and stakeholders.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement, does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Managing performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
- Technological awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in learning, security management, business or public administration, social sciences, or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. A first level degree or diploma from a police or military education institution in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in the design, development, delivery, and evaluation of online, blended, and in person training programmes in security management or a related area is required.
- Two years of experience managing diverse teams, in multinational and global settings, is required.
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a multicultural and/or international work environment in a field mission or post-conflict environment outside home country is required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in security risk management is desirable.
- Experience in coordinating activities with consultants and managing contracts with vendors and partners is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Fluency in French is desirable. Knowledge of Arabic or Spanish is desirable.
You must be logged in to post a comment.