Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
WFP works to save lives and change lives through the provision of food assistance and resilience-building programs. In line with SDGs 2 & 17, WFP operations have ventured into different modalities of food transfer and capacity-strengthening to end hunger by 2030 and to revitalize global partnerships for sustainable development.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
BACKGROUND AND JOB PURPOSE
The Procurement unit would like to harness the business-oriented technology and data analysis skills to better achieve its strategic goals of being agile, being reliable & cost efficient, supporting quality & safety, and strengthening national capacities & markets. With the intern on board we look forward to promote end-to-end visibility on procurement function, and leverage advanced analytics and optimization tools.
Under the direct supervision of the Procurement Officer, the incumbent will be provided with close mentoring, guidance and technical supervision. Performance planning and reviews as well as learning and development discussions will be elemental part of the supervision.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidate must be a recent graduate (within the last 6 months) or actively pursuing an undergraduate degree of which he/she has competed 2 years of undergraduate study OR pursuing a graduate programme in Business Information Technology, Engineering or related field. Specialization in Supply Chain is desirable.
- Fluent in English (both oral and written) is a must; knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset.
- Proficiency in computer skills and MS Office is required; advance use of Excel and PowerPoint is desirable.
- Ability to design applications is desirable.
- Familiarity with other systems like DOTS, SAP is desirable.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Highly numerate with an innate ability to analyse & interpret data quickly, & recommend improvements.
- Intermediate level in either Python or SQL.
- Knowledge on Supply Chain and industrial management.
- Flexibility and ability to work with strict deadlines.
- Ability to work both individually and in a team as appropriate.
- Problem solving skills.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The tasks to be assigned to the intern include but are not limited to:
- Support on Market Intelligence and data analysis on regional food prices, farmer locations and other key data points.
- Ensure that data pipelines are robust and remain healthy to sustain automated analyses.
- Support on collation and design of traceability template for deployment in local/regional food procurement data collection.
- Possible design or input in development of an App to be used in traceability data collection.
- Support progress against project milestones to ensure timely completion of project deliverables.
- Leverage optimisation to enhance RBN Procurement unit performance by way of system and process improvements.
- Be proactive in liaising with the different COs within RBN to collate analyse and present, in a timely manner, data for various reporting requirements.
- Produce dashboards to support the work of Procurement unit.
- Any other tasks required to support RBN Procurement operations.
- Be a proactive listener to Procurement unit challenges and propose relevant analytical support.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE INTERNSHIP
- In depth global market intelligence reporting in pre-agreed format, on a monthly (or otherwise advised basis) covering concern commodities with commentary on observed trends.
- Timely collation, analysis and presentation of requisite country data on a monthly or otherwise advised periodic basis.
- Continuous review of traceability template with recommendations for review to make it more suitable for purpose
TRAINING COMPONENTS/LEARNING ELEMENTS
WFP mandatory training, presentation skills, LRFPP (Local Regional Food Procurement Policy) and guiding principles.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP depending on the duty station of assignment (i.e. Nairobi).
- This position is not remote and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya for the entirety of the contract.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- The internship duration is 8 months, full-time.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
- The deadline for receiving applications for this position is February 01, 2023
- Applications for this position will close at 11:59 p.m. (East African Time) on the deadline date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- WFP embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that celebrates diversity and inclusivity in all ways.
- Employment is decided on the basis of competitive selection, qualifications and merit.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.