Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Link Below to Get Targeted Job Updates
WFP works to save lives and change lives through the provision of food assistance and resilience-building programs. In line with SDGs 2 & 17, WFP operations have ventured into different modalities of food transfer and capacity-strengthening to end hunger by 2030 and to revitalize global partnerships for sustainable development.
The WFP Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa (RBN) is based in Nairobi and provides strategic direction, technical guidance, resource mobilization, and management support to WFP operations and activities in ten countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
BACKGROUND AND JOB PURPOSE
There are several key themes that the Business in Country Offices (COs) need to enable the Country Strategic Plans and the ongoing operations in the country. Strategically aligning the TEC organization in the field to these needs will ensure CO operations are set up for success. TEC committed to having a technical service that underpins the regional and country operations and ensures that all the WFP staff are enabled to do their day-to-day work efficiently and effectively.
The Intern will work as part of the IT unit under the direct supervision of the IT Officer and support the field offices needs within the Region for IT infrastructure services & RBN Helpdesk support activities.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled in the university and have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies; or have graduated from an undergraduate within the last 6 months in the fields of Information Communication Technologies, Network and Telecommunications, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate programme (Master’s degree) from a recognized university, undertaking the programmes mentioned above, and have attended classes in the past 12 months,
- Fluent in English (both oral and written) is a must; knowledge of a second UN language, preferably French, would be an asset.
KEY SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge in Internetworking (TCP/IP, firewall, routing/switching, LAN, WIFI, etc.).
- Knowledge in Network Monitoring systems (SNMP based).
- Knowledge in Microsoft collaboration and productivity Tools: Microsoft Office package, MS Teams
- SharePoint, O365, Azure or google apps.
- Knowledge with network architecture and network monitoring systems.
- Interest in developing sustainable solutions for country offices, focusing on ICT and renewable energy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Collaborate with country offices TEC teams to share information, plan, and provide needful support to implement various Network related activities in RBN region.
- Responsible for maintaining information records such as network infrastructure and statistical databases.
- Work closely with Network Infrastructure Coordinator to provide high level network guidance and support to complete RBN region for prevention and mitigation of threats and abuses on the network.
- Contribute to draft quality focused training material, procedures, instructions, and templates from best practice and disseminate through a Practice Community to Region.
- Resolves support calls related to WFP standard software and hardware including Office 365 Products, email, cloud services, operating systems, laptops, desktops, printers, scanners, smartphones etc.
- Install, assemble, and configure computers, monitors, networks infrastructure and peripherals such as printers, scanners and related hardware; pull cables and rewire or direct the rewiring of cables as required for new installations and office reconfiguration.
- Adhere to Incident management and change management procedures.
- Diagnose and resolve technical problems, associated with computer hardware and software interrelationships/dependencies and ensure availability to system users.
- Manage and report time accurately as per assignments.
- Assist in internal and external conferences.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Ensure to remain compliant to mandatory course requirements in line with organisational directives.
- 40 hours of learning from recommended courses (competency based).
- Skill Development 70|20|10 Rule.
- Undertake 1 technical Couse in respective area of work.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE INTERNSHIP
- Provide support for various Network and IT related Services following defined WFP standard procedure and guidelines. Ticket handling in ITSM Tool (Easy Vista) as per defined SLA with excellent customer satisfaction/Feedback.
- Regularly updating Infrastructure/Equipment’s record for field offices in coordination with field IT staff. To achieve desired goal to upgrade end of life equipment and core infrastructure for RBN country offices.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and resolve complex technical issues around normal IT operations and support related tasks and contribution to continuous service improvement activities. Continuous participation in Network project activities and team meetings etc. Customer communication quality improvement as a continuous process.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP depending on the duty station of assignment (i.e. Nairobi).
- This position is not remote and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya for the entirety of the contract.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- The internship duration is 8 months, full-time.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
- The deadline for receiving applications for this position is February 01, 2023
- Applications for this position will close at 11:59 p.m. (East African Time) on the deadline date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- WFP embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that celebrates diversity and inclusivity in all ways.
- Employment is decided on the basis of competitive selection, qualifications and merit.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.