The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit an Animal Technician to provide assistance to the Small (and if required the Large Animal Unit).
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases www.ilri.org
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2017, an operating budget of about USD83 million. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre working for a food-secure future. ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia www.cgiar.org
- Feeding and watering animals;
- Breeding small animals (mice, rats and rabbits)
- Cleaning of the animal facilities;
- Maintaining general cleaning of the animals unit
- Keeping records for birth, animals that have been weaned, deaths;
- Assist in collection of samples;
- Assist researcher during experiments as defined in protocols;
- Report animal health matters of concern and activities within defined areas;
- Assist during routine dipping, treatment and vaccinations of all the animals;
- Collect animals from external sources.
- A certificate in Animal Health
- At least 2 years relevant working experience in a research set up or similar environment
- Ability to communicate in English and Kiswahili
- Basic Computer knowledge in animal record keeping
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 1B, and ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply: Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position,, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 03 February 2017. The position title and reference number REF: AH/SAU/01/2017 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.
More ILRI jobs
Get a free review of your CV send it to email@example.com with REVIEW in caps as the subject line.
We can also assist you with this job application. Request job application assistance when getting your review.
Like our Carer Agency Facebook page so you never miss our daily job updates.