Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Vision and Strategy
- Support and contribute to the development and implementation of Mercy Corps AgriFin Program strategy. Develop programs that aligns with the Program’s Strategy.
- Provide support to the Program Director on matters pertaining to strategy, planning, budgeting, programming, and management.
- Develop work plans and mobilize resources to achieve Program strategy objectives.
- Promote thought leadership by ensuring that program innovations and successes are assessed, analyzed, documented, and effectively communicated internally and externally.
- Communicate the direction by supporting prioritization and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to AgriFin-wide program implementation.
- Oversee all aspects of project implementation and ensure that all project aspects are documented.
- Oversee ongoing program implementation and administration of the technical team.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure adherence to program implementation plans, as well as monitoring implementation, program quality, and impacts of these activities.
- Ensure program documentation and program minimal standards are consistently adhered to (PM@MC and all associated policies).
- Ensure that a comprehensive reporting schedule is maintained and adhered to according to requirement
- Keep the senior management team informed with detailed and accurate reports or accounts of all project activities.
- Proactively engage with program stakeholders to inform coordination and collaboration.
- Support in coordination with the MERAL Director, the establishment an overall M&E framework that will guide M&E for all country offices.
- Support the development of strategic learning cases in fulfillment of donor milestones, learning goals and implementation of the suggestions.
Administrative and Operational Responsibilities
- Support in contracting and budget management of contractors and consultants for the Mercy Corps AgriFin Program based on Mercy Corps procedures, with support from AgriFin operational team.
- Maintain strong operational relationships with Mercy Corps finance, administration and logistics teams to ensure clarity and full support of program activities where appropriate.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Supervise and lead the technical team members to provide feedback and resolve complex problems.
- Discover ways to enhance efficiency and productivity of procedures and people.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback
- Provide team members with information, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Contribute team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure program team coordinates and collaborates actively and successfully with learning teams and external consultants
- Ensure all program teams have received training on program quality and minimum standards (PM@MC).
- Fill in for the Program Director and for program leadership as needed and as requested.
Influence, Representation & Fundraising
- Identify and lead on fundraising opportunities in partnership with the Program Director, including developing partnerships and proposal writing.
- Develop and nurture culturally sensitive internal and external relationships and networks to ensure optimum communication and program success.
- Explore, evaluate and present innovative funding opportunities that support the program strategy.
- Identify, build and manage in partnership with the Program Director collaborative partnerships with donors, government partners, consortium partners, sub-grantees, and other stakeholders.
- In coordination with the Program Director, partake in representation role on specific coordination working groups or forums.
Finance and Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance and transparent use of resources in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies.
- Monitor and ensure adherence to grant agreements, Mercy Corps’ policies and procedures and other relevant regulations, including those of the Government of Kenya.
- Work closely with support functions in the regional and headquarters to ensure highest compliance and program performance.
- Work with the technical team on proper budget management, including forecasting and procurement planning.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
This position requires supervision of a team of approximately five national team members and international consultants, including program managers, team leaders and officers.
Reports directly to: Program Director, AgriFin Program
Works directly with: AgriFin Technical Team, Finance and operations team
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in International development, Social Sciences, Commerce, Economics and relevant field of studies.
- At least 10 years of relevant program and senior management experience.
- Experience coordinating multiple programs, developing synergies and creating opportunities for collaboration.
- Sound understanding of financial, procurement, administration, and logistics management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in team building and team coordination for achieving program goals.
- Strong commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; detail-oriented; and possessing an ability to anticipate program and operational needs.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment and to a diverse group of national and international staff.
- Understanding of participatory methodologies for project design, implementation and evaluation.
- Experience in working with private sector partners
- Good understanding of market systems development programming Excellent proposal and report writing skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Fluency in English is essential.
The successful Deputy Program Director will be a initiative-taker, multi-tasker, and able to work effectively and respectfully with local government, private sector, civil society and donors. He or she will have a demonstrated experience in setting up and managing systems and procedures as well as experience in building team commitment toward the achievements of program objectives. S/he will be a team-player with positive attitude to problem solving and conflict resolution. The successful candidate will be focused on team building and capacity-building of program staff and will be able to apply creative solutions to program quality. S/he will also have ability to juggle multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected events impacting program operations.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The position is based in Nairobi, with expectation to work on occasional evenings and weekends. Travel within Kenya regionally and overseas will be required on a periodic basis as needed. Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to the link below before Tuesday, 19thApril 2022 by 5.00pm.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps AgriFin Program does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process