Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position Title: Software Development Supervisor
Reports To: Software Development Manager
Division: Immigration & Refugee Program+ (IRP+)
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Grade Level: Grade 7, Supervisor, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
The Software Development Supervisor position is primarily responsible for defining software features and taking lead in developing software applications by studying operations; designing, developing, and installing software solutions; managing the entire software development life cycle. This position supervises the IT software developers.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding database management for RSC Africa programs.
- Oversees the software development lifecycle by taking the lead on Requirements Gathering, Design, Implementation, Testing, & Maintenance
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Supervises, supports and develops software developers by providing advice, coaching and recommending educational opportunities.
- Oversees new product development by ideas by collecting screening, feasibility study and concept development.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Resolves software development requests escalated from service desk.
- Collaborating with the site and sub offices IT staff in supporting software applications.
- Provides input and recommendation to the IT manager on IT automation.
- When needed, covers the responsibilities of the other IT specialists.
- Working with the IT specialists on various tasks and projects.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Software Development Manager or IT Management
- Six (6) years paid work experience required
- Four (4) years directly related specialized experience performing the essential duties in bespoke software/application development is required.
- One (1) year direct supervisory experience required.
- Experience in software development project management is preferred.
- Strong knowledge in the .Net and web development environment with relational databases.
- Strong knowledge in MSSQL Database architecture, design and development, including SQL reporting services, BIDS reporting environment.
- Knowledge of GIT Version Control.
- Strong Knowledge in essential Windows and Linux system administration is required. Android and Java programming experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Model View Controller (MVC) a plus.
Education & Certifications:
Bachelor’s Degree in IT, or an additional four (4) years work experience in a related field required in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
Specialization in software development preferred.
- Interpret written requirements and technical specification documents;
- Supervise staff to ensure policies and procedures are implemented and executed in accordance with guidelines and standard operating procedures;
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail, completing tasks within set timeframes;
- Exercise good judgement and seek guidance as appropriate when confronted with unanticipated problems;
- Deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public;
- Manage large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
- Maintain the integrity of official records;
- Analyse and solve complex problems and make sound decisions;
- Work with minimal supervision
- Maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
- Work independently and contribute to overall operations of RSC Africa;
- Actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP).
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is strongly recommended for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic