Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req28406
Job Title: Senior Nutrition Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Hagadera, Kenya
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Nutrition Manager, The Senior Nutrition Officer (SNO) will lead the implementation of all nutrition related activities at the IRC run health facilities (main hospital and 2 health posts) and communities in the refugee settlement and the surrounding host communities in Hagadera refugee camp.
The SNO will be responsible for providing training (nutrition), coaching, mentorship, and technical support, including M&E for the nutrition program. Key areas will include, but not limited to the detection and treatment of acute cases of malnutrition; implementation of the prevention package of Combined Protocol for Treatment of Acute Malnutrition Study (comPAS), Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition (IMAM), Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF), Maternal Child Health and Nutrition (MIYCN); supporting outreach activities that include surveillance and patient follow up; and preparing and submission of donor reports as required.
- Provide overall technical leadership and direction to nutrition activities being implemented at Dadaab refugee camp in line with the UNHCR, UNICEF, ECHO technical narrative, work plans and targets.
- Ensure quality and timely identification and treatment of medical complications associated with malnutrition in SC/OTP/SFP.
- Give and advise on the drug regimen for children in the SC, OTP and SFP programs.
- Participate in daily ward rounds in the SC ward with the medical team.
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment, and procedure are properly carried out and documented in the patients’ cards
- Mentor the nutrition staff and auxiliary nurses to manage patients with acute malnutrition as per approved protocols and guidelines
- Train and mentor IRC nutrition staff and other key stakeholders in growth monitoring and promotion (GMP), comPAS, IYCF and IMAM; especially the OTP and SC staff.
- Ensure the establishment of nutrition monitoring activities and train health staff in case detection and referral system.
- Ensure timely LMIS/KHIS reporting in accordance with set deadlines.
Monthly submission of relevant reports to the Nutrition manager and updating of nutrition data on relevant platforms.
- Work in collaboration with other departments to strengthen screening for malnutrition at community level and linkage and referral to health and nutrition service delivery points
- Provide oversight for MIYCN activities at community level
- Improve the provision of quality nutrition counseling in the hospital stabilization center, maternity, and HIV/TB clinic, male & female wards, and other entry points in the health program in liaison with relevant IRC sectors.
- Plan and conduct continuous monitoring of the SAM, MAM, BMS patients.
- Participate in program strategic planning and roll-out of new program areas in liaison with key stakeholders and cooperating partners.
- Adhere and uphold IRC code of conduct at respective work area.
Supervision and leadership
- Directly supervise nutrition officers and nutrition nurse in SC and OTP/SFP sites.
- Supervise and work in strict collaboration with the nutrition team in the screening activities of severely malnourished children.
- Identify training gaps for the incentive staff and beneficiaries within nutrition program and communicate the same to the program manager.
Networking and coordination
- Ensure proper communication, coordination, and harmonization of tools with the different stakeholders involved in food/nutrition activities.
- Develop and coordinate the adherence and reporting of nutrition education sessions as per developed annual plan.
- Monitor and supervise proper usage of essential nutrition therapeutic feeds such as F100, F75, RUTF, RUSF, CSB++and Resomal to avoid stock outs.
- Create appropriate linkages and referral for nutrition activities.
- Work closely with other health programs in spirit of integration for maximum output.
- Attend all program implementation meetings.
Note: – The role of the Senior Nutrition Officer cannot be limited to the specific duties and tasks detailed herein. The success of the IRC’s humanitarian mission is the highest priority and all issues which arise must be addressed accordingly. Therefore, S/he will be required to manage all unforeseen issues and circumstances and remain flexible to perform any other duties, as and when required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition & Dietetics.
- Registration MUST with KNDI
- Possess at least three (3) years’ experience in implementing nutrition related activities in a busy hospital and community set up.
- S/He must possess ability to analyze and interpret both quantitative and qualitative programmed data.
- Must possess excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have cognate skills in computer applications.
- MUST possess a high level of integrity and with good interpersonal skills
- Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions.
- Addition nutrition training in CMAM/IMAM and MIYCN is an added advantage.
- Strong communication skills, oral, written and presentation.
- Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands of Kenya
- Previous experience working in insecure contexts
- Extremely flexible and can cope with stressful situations.
- Strong background in humanitarian projects.
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, E- mail, out look
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.
You must be logged in to post a comment.