Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
DRC began operating in Kenya in 2005 with assistance to refugees and displacement-affected communities via implementation of protection and livelihoods activities. DRC works in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps, as well as in Nairobi and Mombasa to assist urban-based refugees, and in Mandera County implementing a 3-year cross-border resilience programme. In Kakuma, DRC’s programme supports refugee youth and adolescents with life skills, resilience, training and scholarships alongside livelihood and vocational skills development. DRC has recently acquired implementing partner status of UNHCR and will be implementing protection related activities in Kalobeyei camp – which is a new camp opened near the Kakuma refugee camp.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Livelihoods Assistant will support the delivery of high-quality vocational skills training to selected trainees majorly in hairdressing and beauty therapy courses. The position holder will be responsible for designing, planning and implementing vocational skills training in preparing the trainees towards skilled job opportunities.
- Participate in the development of interventions related to skills training that would enable targeted group engage in economic activities.
- Deliver standardized curriculum for the specified Vocational Skill Courses for learners in the refugee camps and host community.
- Prepare Schemes of work/Work plans, Lesson plans and lesson notes, Record of work covered, Learners’ evaluation and progress records, Stock records for all training materials, tools and equipment in the workstation.
- Design and prepare materials, resources and information to be used in respect of programme delivery.
- Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students.
- Guidance and skills development to ensure that learning standards are maintained and improved.
- Maintain proper documentation process and records of the training progress, assessment and quality of the training.
- Modify, where appropriate, instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse students’ needs.
- Develop and explain methods that fairly measure students’ progress toward students’ learning outcomes.
- Evaluate student’s performance fairly and consistently and return students’ work promptly to promote maximum learning.
- Provide livelihood guidance to increase beneficiaries’ awareness of different business options based on market assessment and beneficiary interests.
- Provide information to beneficiaries on skills trainings, market opportunities, and small enterprise creation.
- Organize and conduct small business training and business planning activities with beneficiaries.
- Receive and distribute goods dispatched from warehouse and ensure all documentation is accurately completed in an accountable manner.
- Coordinate the advertisement, interviews and selection of the students to be trained on hairdressing and beauty therapy course.
- Installing and management of operating equipment and fixtures for hairdressing and beauty therapy class.
- Conducting safety checks on training equipment.
- Document lessons learned from training activities, community meeting and assist in preparing training reports.
- Participate in regular lessons learned feedback sessions with the project team.
- Conduct other duties as assigned by the supervisor and/or management.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Experience in developing vocational skills interventions.
- Registered TVET trainer preferrably in hairdressing and Beauty Therapy skills
- 3- 4 years’ experience implementing TVET related programs.
- Good facilitation skills especially in basic book keeping or administration, Entrepreneurship, Microfinance is desirable.
- Proven understanding of Vocational Skills Training programmes, formal and non-formal education support, Apprenticeship, income generation activities, entrepreneurship activities and working with job markets.
- Knowledge and Skills in training Community Based Vocational course
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiatives
- Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem solving capabilities.
- Hands on- community mobilization.
- Degree in Technical Education from a reputable organization or Higher National diploma with at least 2 years in implementing vocational skills projects.
DRC Core Competencies:
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Internal: Programme Management Unit, M+E staff, implementing field teams, support team, Kakuma SMT, community workers.
External: Local government authorities, Other NGOs, Donors, Implementing partners
Contract: 6 months contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council terms of employment for National staff.
Availability: July 2021
Duty station: Kakuma (Local contract – does not qualify for RnR and accommodation).
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html)
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications, which should include a 1-page cover letter clearly stating their motivation, and qualifications and a CV. Applications should include contact details of three professional referees who have supervised the candidate in the last five years. One referee must be the applicant’s most recent manager. Only applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on http://www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Applications should be sent no later than: 30th June 2021.
DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, female candidates and those from minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
Danish Refugee Council does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.