Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
NawiriPro is forging new and innovative pathways to sustainably impact Out of School Youth (OoSY) livelihoods at scale. We empower and train youth on running successful informal sector businesses, starting with the motorbike courier industry, by teaching them how to increase their income and improve their livelihood. NawiriPro wants to solve the unemployment rate for millions of Out of School Youth in Africa by teaching them successful and dynamic informal sector business models.
NawiriPro is looking for someone who is customer-obsessed, action-biased, delivers results, ruthless prioritizer, highly-motivated individual, proactive and willing to improve on processes.
The Senior finance associate will be reporting to the Managing Director and Co-founder of NawiriPro. This role is crucial to the organization hitting its milestone to get product-market fit. As a result, he\she will be ensuring the implementation of accounting and financial management functions at NawiriPro and ensure compliance with policies, procedures.
You could be the perfect fit for this role if you have;
- An understanding of a business (start-up or otherwise), and excellent financial planning and analytical skills
- The ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information.
- Excellent budgeting and budget management experience.
- General administration and procurement knowledge
- Excellent understanding of financial systems, reporting and procedures.
- Highly organised with a keen eye for detail and the desire to probe further into data.
- A high EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and can create strong relationships within the team plus a keen sense of how to navigate both internal and external hurdles to ship a great customer experience for all stakeholders.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and frequent changes to direction as the company works towards product-market fit and learns to operate at scale.
About Educate! & NawiriPro
Educate prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. Our goal is to design skills-based education and employment solutions which impact youth life outcomes sustainably and at scale. In 2019, we partnered with the governments of Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya and measurably impacted over 46,000 youth in and out of schools while reaching 470,000 learners more broadly, making us the biggest youth skills providers in East Africa. In 2020, we rapidly adapted to a changing world by serving youth during the pandemic.
In March 2019, Educate! launched a new social enterprise unit within our organization called “NawiriPro”, based in Kenya. NawiriPro is building a new product that will offer faster and more affordable educational pathways for out-of-school youth, enabling them to thrive in the informal economy. NawiriPro is building a user-paying bootcamp model, which targets youth and parents as payers for the bootcamp to create a fully sustainable and customer-centred social impact product.
To date, we have more than 3,000 motorcycle riders using the NawiriPro e-learning platform. Our long-term vision is to serve more than 100,000 youth annually with a break-even business model.
- Provide leadership to the finance and accounting areas of the organization, proposing and implementing improvements in processes to increase efficiency
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to executive and operational management to improve results.
- Maintain control of the following areas: general ledger, accounts payable, expense reports, and payroll.
- Prepare a variety of ad hoc financial scenarios as requested.
- Ensure full compliance with Kenya Revenue Authority and returns requirements
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting for decision making
- Overall responsibility for maintenance of internal control systems
- Key contact with bank support personnel and Tax Advisors
- Liaise with parent company Educate! for all NawiriPro accounting needs as and when needed
Financial Controlling & Accounting
- Observe and implement all NawiriPro accounting systems, payments, bookkeeping, and statutory filing.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles through the QuickBooks system identifying and correcting any variances.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
- Manage, oversee, process (as appropriate), all of the following transactions: payroll, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
- Perform month-end closing procedures, including account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Ensure the weekly budget balances report is up to date and shared with staff
- Confirm expense codes on all requests as they are received, correct where necessary through the budget manager.
- Minimize the number of errors from the team through constant feedback and also in reporting.
- Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including; income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow
- Submit accurate, complete and timely management reports.
- Coordinate the preparation of the audited financial statements and all tax returns.
- Support in the preparation of periodic budget preparations and updates
- Share budgets with budget holders and enter into the accounting system
- Ensure BVA reports have clear explanations at month-end
- Share weekly BVA reports with budget holders for ease of planning
- Share quarterly BVA reports with clear explanations with Educate!
- Monitor the budget memos and update the approved budgets and QuickBooks with the Budget Memos where needed
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Certified public accountant (CPA, K) will be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years of finance and accounting experience, including finance, accounting, audit, and analysis (including gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to management and external stakeholders).
- Solid experience in coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting.
- Proficiency with QuickBooks and excellent Excel skills.
- Entrepreneurial drive and proven ability to take ownership and lead the team’s combined learning.
- Collaborative, data-oriented approach to problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner, seeking out areas that need attention rather than being asked to look at specific problem areas.
- Consistently asks for help and seeks advice from colleagues to let the best idea or process win.
- Engaging and interactive communicator with a passion for coaching others
- Passion for NawiriPro’s mission is a must, but past work in education or youth development is not required. We value diverse perspectives and encourage applications from people with a variety of backgrounds. Background working with youth in the informal sector or digital products would be an asset.
- You fit our Five Cultural Tenets (see NawiriPro Culture below)
- The location is Nairobi, Kenya
People inspire us with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at NawiriPro to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers. We are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Are Youth First – We believe in the youth’s power and design a model that depends on them. To create effective solutions, we have to see and understand the challenges and opportunities that real people encounter in their lives. Continuously improve through build-measure-learn loops, build based on evidence-based solutions and research. It also means we use the Human-centred approach to design our solutions.
- We Are Committed – The team is self-directed, and all members are dedicated to completing work that has been agreed upon. The number one driver of an innovation culture is team cohesion. We need to feel a sense of togetherness, working towards a larger goal. In NawiriPro, we believe that sharing generously and being open are essential traits in driving cohesion and innovation.
- We Are Courageous – When you work at NawiriPro, you will realise that our risk appetite is an indicator of how innovative we can be. We understand that risk is an inherent part of the innovation process. As we test out new ideas, some will fail. We, therefore, embrace failure and create a safe to fail environment.
- We Respect each other – The team is composed of members who have different strengths, and each individual’s strengths are respected. There is no finger-pointing when discussing how to fix what is not working. The team operates as a single entity and succeeds or fails together.
- We Practice learning – Through daily stand up meetings, the team is given time to gather and share what has been successful and what needs to be improved. It takes training and learning every step to recognize and support disruptive innovation.
Every person at NawiriPro — from interns to the Managing Director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
NawiriPro is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from various cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.