Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
We work to reduce poverty by strengthening Africa’s financial markets.
Established in 2012 and supported by UK aid, FSD Africa is a specialist development agency working to build and strengthen financial markets across sub-Saharan Africa. We work to reduce poverty through a ‘market systems development’ approach, which means we aim to address the structural, underlying causes of poverty by improving how financial market systems function.
We believe that investing in building a financial system that is transparent, stable and accessible creates the conditions for a fair and sustainable future, where inequality is reduced, corruption is tackled, and where individuals, businesses and governments alike are able to prepare for future challenges, from climate change to political instability.
From our headquarters in Nairobi, our team of financial sector experts work alongside governments, business leaders, regulators and policy makers to design and build ambitious programmes that make financial markets work better for everyone. Depending on the project, we can provide a combination of grants, investment capital, market insights or technical assistance to ensure we achieve our objectives.
We focus our work where the need is greatest, and where we believe the potential for impact is the most significant. We have a specific mandate to invest in breakthrough, innovative ideas that we believe can have a transformative impact. By sharing risk with our partners, we’re able to address more difficult, persistent, or higher-risk challenges, in more unstable or fragile geographies, than traditional development finance organisations.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO
REPORTS INDIRECTLY TO
Senior Finance Manager, CFO
The accountant provides bookkeeping support and contributes towards financial process efficiency and compliance of the set organisational policies and procedures.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ROLE REQUIREMENTS
Accounting and Financial Reporting
Ensure that data is entered and posted into the accounting system in an accurate and timely manner; ensuring the availability of information needed in decision making and compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and standards:
· Support the Financial Accountant and Finance Pillar in the preparation of financial statements. E.g., drafting project accounts for review by the Financial Accountant
· Prepare audit schedules in preparation for the annual external audit and respond to internal and external audit queries during the audit exercises
Disbursement of Payments
Contribute to an efficient payment system by ensuring that payments to staff, vendors, service providers and other stakeholders are made accurately, on time and with good customer service:
· Receive payment requests and verify the accompanying supporting documentation; proactively liaising with the payment requestor to assist them in following procedures.
· Prepare payment vouchers for disbursement of funds and ensure that the general ledger and sub ledgers are updated in a timely and accurate manner.
· Prepare and process payroll and other allowances ensuring correct calculation of statutory deductions; ensure that beneficiaries receive payslips and payment advice.
· Develop statutory schedules, file returns and ensure that taxes are paid on time and in line with existing policies, procedures and statutory regulations.
· Prepare end of period adjustments: accruals for provisions for unbilled monthly expenses and amortization of prepayments.
Provide financial administrative support to the Finance Pillar team to facilitate the fluid and efficient day to day operations of the department:
· Assist the Financial Accountant and Finance Pillar in managing assets, ensuring that all FSD Africa assets are timely and accurately entered on the fixed asset register.
· Support the Financial Accountant and Finance Pillar in gathering supporting documentation that will be used to respond to queries raised by stakeholders.
· Ensure that routine banking operations are conducted in a timely and secure manner.
· Replenishment of petty cash.
Finance Records Management
Manage the archive of financial records, ensuring that all documentation is secured confidentially and can be easily retrieved as required:
· Ensure that all transactions are captured accurately and timely into the financial accounting system.
· Manage the filing and retention of financial records, ensuring that all documents are filed according to FSD Africa records management policies and procedures.
· Ensure files are organized so that they are easily accessible, moving outdated files into the archive as well as assisting the retrieval of documents.
· As a custodian of financial records, ensure only authorized access, and informing the Finance Manager in case of problems or concerns.
Carry out any other duties or special assignments as assigned by the Financial Accountant.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS – ESSENTIAL AND DESIRABLE
Qualifications and Education
- Degree Commerce, Business Administration or related
- Substantial progress towards certification in accounting (e.g., ACCA, CPA, etc.)
- Excellent written and spoken English
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- At least 5 years post graduate experience preferably working in the finance environment of a donor funded organisation
· Proficiency in MS Office particularly Excel and Word, as well as a computerized financial management system
· Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
· Good analytical and mathematical skills
· Well organized and a good planner
To apply for the role, your application must be received by 5.00pm EAT on 26 January 2022.