Do you want to change how you apply for jobs? send your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW and get a verbal C.V. critique better yet, get a new C.V. and see what a difference it makes.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
BASED IN: Nairobi, Kenya (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia a possibility in the near future)
SEARCH CLOSES: March 27, 2020
The position reports to the Regional Director for Africa, maintaining oversight on and leadership of all of the Open Society Foundations (OSF)’s African advocacy. The position conducts advocacy in line with the Africa Regional Office (AfRO)’s strategy and work plan and in partnership with the African foundations and other OSF advocates on Africa. The position also provides advice and support to AfRO and African foundation staff on advocacy strategising, planning and execution.
Brief description of role
The position reports to the Regional Director for Africa and oversees OSF’s advocacy on African issues. The position conducts advocacy in line with AfRO’s strategy and work plan as well as according to the needs of and in partnership with the African foundations and other OSF advocates on Africa. The position provides advice and support to AfRO and African foundations staff on advocacy strategising, planning and execution. The position is the primary coordinator of Africa-related advocacy for OSF and should be proactive in engaging with other OSF advocates on Africa when Africa-related work is being considered or implemented. It also collaborates with other OSF advocates in matters of OSF advocacy policy.
- Serve as OSF’s focal point for advocacy on Africa;
- Provide leadership for advocacy in and on Africa and identify advocacy opportunities for AfRO and the African foundations when necessary;
- Lead in the development and implementation of an advocacy strategy based on global, regional and sub-regional priorities;
- Work closely with relevant AfRO and African foundation staff as well as OSF’s other advocates on Africa and key constituencies;
- Convene AfRO, African foundation and other OSF advocates on Africa to discuss, strategise around, plan and review advocacy on Africa;
- In collaboration with the African foundations, provide regular and timely updates, information, analysis and briefings on African advocacy for OSF’s leadership on developments that demand advocacy;
- Proactively collaborate with other regional advocacy managers in OSF’s other regions;
- When necessary, also collaborate with and provide advocacy direction to other OSF thematic programmes working on the continent;
- With OSF’s other advocates on Africa, arrange and lead in advocacy training for AfRO, African foundation staff and partners;
- Promote staff growth, productivity and well-being through coaching, mentoring and helping others develop their skills;
- Promote healthy communication and teamwork within AfRO, with the African foundations as well as OSF’s other advocates on Africa;
- Travel as required;
- Take up any other duties that may be assigned.
- Deep knowledge of and experience working on African political-economic issues and a pan-African perspective on international relations;
- Deep understanding of the continent and regional institutions, particularly the African Union (AU) and how to engage with it;
- Deep understanding of pan-African civil society (broadly defined) and its advocacy history, strengths and weaknesses;
- Broad and deep contact base with African institutions and critical African governments;
- Relevant master’s degree and at least ten years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Fluency in English and French (Arabic an additional advantage);
- Excellent analytical, strategic, organisational, verbal and written and interpersonal skills;
- High self-motivation and ability to work independently;
- Ability to motivate a team and coordinate a broader group of staff;
- Profound commitment to professional ethics and the values of the OSF network.
To apply: send a cover letter and detailed CV, including three references, to Juliana Ndolo at: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.
OSF is an equal opportunity employer.