Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Pwani University a Premier University at the Coast situated in the beautiful scenic tourist resort town of Kilifi is an equal opportunity employer. The University’s Mission is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research by molding students to international standards and encouraging and supporting members of staff to undertake research. The University invites applications from suitable qualified candidates to fill the position of Legal Officer (Advisory, Collaboration and IPR) Grade 11.
Legal Officer (Advisory, Collaboration and IPR) Grade 11 1 Position: REF: PU/ADV/13/01/2021
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION OF LEGAL OFFICER (ADVISORY, COLLABORATION AND IPR) GRADE 11
Appointment to this position is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a three (3)-year renewable performance-based contract, depending on age, citizenship or any other reason.
The candidate must have a Bachelors Degree in Law from a recognised University.
In addition, the candidate must have:
- Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law or an exemption from Council of Legal Education.
- Admission to the Roll of Advocates of the High Court of Kenya
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- The requirements set out in Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Proficiency in computer applications
- Not any pending complaints with Advocate Complaints Commission, the Disciplinary Committee or adverse report from present or previous employers.
- Have at least three (3) years relevant Post Admission experience either in private practice or other relevant employment.
Interested applicants should possess the following:-
- Communication Skills
- Computing Skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Counselling Skills
In addition the candidate should
- Show active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of university policies and regulations regarding public events and public disclosures, and the intricacies of governmental actions.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the history, administrative structure and activities of public universities and current affairs
Duties and Responsibilities
The officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities
- Keep abreast with local and global best practices with respect to compliance and risk management for the University’s operations and make recommendations.
- Prepare legal opinions, advice and reports on technical legal matters to the Board and Departmental Managers including reviewing legal documentation, management of legal due diligence and liaising with external counsel as required.
- Management of Legal and Regulatory Compliance including monitoring and reporting on changes to applicable statutes and regulations.
- Draft standard contracts and specialised contracts, review and negotiate contracts and ensuring such documents and third-party contracts are properly and promptly executed.
- Maintain proper coordination between the legal function and other user departments with respect to contracting with suppliers, vendors and third parties.
- Develop a Risk Management Framework and continuously assess and evaluate risks and identify mitigation mechanisms.
- Oversee audits of policy and compliance to standards in the University’s operations including liaison with internal and external auditors.
- Provide legal support in research on developments in law and maintenance of a legal Library for reference.
- Fill in for the Head Legal and Council Affairs and for other Legal Officers as necessary to ensure continuity of service provision to clients.
- Assist to provide Board Secretariat services to Council as requested by the Head of Legal and Council Affairs to improve efficiency and ensure continuity of service provision to Council.
- Attend various university committees as appointed in order to provide legal guidance as required by such Committees.
- Oversee the work of legal interns and other temporary legal staff, when necessary to achieve required work output and ethos; and
- Handle ad-hoc legal issues which may arise from time-to-time and any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Legal and Council Affairs or his designee to ensure that all unforeseen legal responsibilities are promptly and effectively managed.
TERMS OF SERVICE
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Application and recommendation letters from referees should be addressed to
The Vice Chancellor
P.O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
Persons living with disability should attach a copy of their National Council for Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Registration Card.
Applicants with foreign qualifications must submit a Certificate of Recognition from the Commission for University Education.
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday 19th February 2021. Applications received later than this date will not be considered
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
PWANI UNIVERSITY DOES NOT CHARGE FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR APPOINTMENT).