Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Requisition ID: req22309
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Sector: Safety & Security
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kapenguria, West Pokot, Kenya
This document offers generalized duties or terms of reference for the Safety and Security Focal Point(s) for the Field Office. Per the Global Safety and Security Standards, the establishment of an FSSFP is a critical aspect of Security Management Plan development and execution, Critical Incident response, and daily safety and security operational oversight for the Field Office or humanitarian response. This position will offer support to the Westpokot field office -70% and Lodwar field office-30%.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Field Safety and Security Officer will assist the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) in building up the capacity, awareness, and preparedness of staff to deal with security-related risks, threats, and incidents through the delivery of high quality, regular training/ briefings to national staff and IRC visitors in the field sites when deemed necessary.
The Safety and Security Officer will be responsible for collaborating with all the security agencies and technical working forums in the two location and providing briefing on the IRC safety and security SOPS when designing county level security preparedness.
The duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to.
- Ensure Lodwar and West Pokot Field Offices compliance with IRC Global Safety and Security Standards and Policy.
- Assess safety and security risk and vulnerability and make recommendations to the Field Coordinator and program manager West Pokot to reduce staff exposure.
- Oversee operations of the guarding services, CCTV & alarm system service providers within Westpokot and Lodwar and highlight concerns and recommendations to the Field coordinator & Office manager.
- Maintain and update Field Security Management Plan.
- Deliver security briefing materials to new staff and visitors to the Field Offices (West Pokot & Lodwar) or other humanitarian response as directed.
- Immediately report all safety and security incidents to Country Office, ensuring production of Post-Incident Report by involved staff.
- Contribute to a regular situation report (to include situational analysis, actions taken, and actions recommended) prepared by the most senior staff on location.
- Ensure security risk assessments (SRA) of program areas and potential program areas are done and update as requested by senior staff on location.
- Undertake regular program site visits to the program areas and potential program areas whenever needed, anticipated incidents, or response to incidents.
- Advise Field Coordinator in Lodwar and senior staff in West Pokot of any need for review of individual security procedures.
- Represent the IRC locally in interagency fora dealing with humanitarian security where applicable.
- Liaise with local stakeholders and community leaders in the process of gathering and verifying security information on a regular basis.
- Coordinate with Administration and Supply Chain staff regarding staff and vehicle movement and facility security in respective locations.
- Provide recommendations to IRC Field Office or program site staff on ways in which they can effectively reach out to gain acceptance from and improve their image in host communities.
- Submit monthly report and any other report to the Security Coordinator.
- Coordinate with Field Coordinator and Senior Finance officer to ensure security budget is adequately catered for during budgeting period.
- Submit weekly report to the Security coordinator.
- Liaise with the Government security in both west Pokot and Lodwar on ensuring the movement of staff and program implementation is properly coordinated.
- Help in ensuring there is good coordination with other stakeholders in the two counties as far as security issues are concern.
- Safety & Security Officer will also supervise and give oversight to the private security and hired armed escorts in the IRC Offices and facilities.
- Must have university degree or equivalent in security management from recognized University.
- Must have 3-4 years of working experience in the same capacity as security officer/manager or equivalent and previous NGO work is desirable.
- Prior experience in the development and delivery of standardized training packages to both national and international staff.
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communications systems (such as HF Codan, VHF/Thuraya)
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments
- Demonstrate experience of working multi sectoral sector agencies.
- Knowledge of West Pokot and Turkana is an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate with geographically dispersed team. And have experience of remote supervision.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information and excellent attention to details.
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly throughout the region (West Pokot and Turkana) sometimes on short notice.
- Ability to prepare and interpret budgets and effectively use budget systems (BvA).
- Outstanding people skills: strong ability to communicate constructively across culturally diverse teams and contribute to a pleasant work environment.
- Existing network of security team in the region of deployment.
- Fluency in Pokot desirable
- Fluent in English both oral and written.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowance.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes.