Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
This is a Rapid Recruitment – we will undertake shortlisting and interviews as applications come in and may appoint before the closing date
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract: Full time – Fixed term contract 6 months
One Oxfam Grade: C2
Salary and benefits: National
East Africa Hunger Crisis
The Horn of Africa is facing one of its most severe droughts in recent history, following three back-to-back poor rainy seasons, while South Sudan has suffered a fifth consecutive year of severe flooding, leaving nearly 45 million people across Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan in urgent need of humanitarian assistance.
The number of people requiring support is expected to dramatically increase in coming months especially if the next rainy season – long rains (March – May) – fails.
This is a complex regional crisis, involving 4 countries, with overlapping and mutually compounding hunger drivers (conflict, drought and floods, locusts, COVID-19), which are exasperating inequality and revealing the gaps in governance and aid.
As member of the East Africa Hunger Crisis response team, in collaboration with country teams in the region, partners and allies, and the confederation, the Media and Communication Coordinator will support the development, production, and management of media and communications work related to the ongoing regional Priority (CAT1) hunger crisis response. He/she must be a creative sharp writer and visual communicator with great news judgment and a flair for storytelling. And must have tactical and practical understanding of media production, delivery, and social media management and engagement. He/she must also have a track record of developing informative and engaging content on humanitarian and development topics. He/she ensures content aligns with the humanitarian mandate. He/she must be vigilant about editorial and journalistic standards, attentive to protection concerns and political sensitivities, and focused on communicating successfully to our audience demographics.
Working with the technical support of the Regional Media and Communications Advisor, the Media Coordinator will contribute to the development of (social) media plans for the CAT1 emergency and humanitarian work and take the lead in their implementation. He/she or will support reporting, analytics, internal communication and advice to increase visibility, awareness, understanding and support for Oxfam’s humanitarian and development mandate.
The Media and Communication Coordinator will also be responsible for supporting this Crisis Response internal communication and information flow in close collaboration with colleagues from the regional platform and country teams of Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, and South Sudan. This includes data analysis and preparing of reports and information to internal and external stakeholders based on analysis of their information needs.
Please see the job description for the full responsibilities that the East Africa Food Crises – will undertake and the required skills and competencies.
Who we’re looking for
Our next Media and Communication Coordinator will require:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to Oxfam’s values, mission and work including the feminist approach to humanitarian responses and Oxfam’s partnership principles
- Strong knowledge of global humanitarian and conflict issues, particularly those related to food crisis, displacement, refugee law, and impacts on women and girls.
- Substantial and proven experience in Media and Communications work for humanitarian or human rights
- Media management experience in the NGO/non-profit space. Specific experience in humanitarian setting will be an advantage
- Experience in web and multimedia; graphic design, photo and basic video editing , creating infographics etc.
- Experience with applying brand standards and maintaining brand consistency across a wide range of presentations and materials.
- Excellent communications and facilitation skills, with strong understanding of leadership in complex group dynamics.
- Demonstrable organisational and project management skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Excellent understanding of, commitment to and experience of embedding and continuously learning to embed a decolonial, anti-racist, intersectional feminist and partner led approach in your work.
- Lobbying and political skills: persuasive, diplomatic and articulate
- Experience in advocacy, research, policy, lobbying, media work and public campaigning, including the ability to act as a spokesperson when necessary
Closing date: 13 May 2022@ 23:59 EAT
What we offer
At Oxfam, we believe that every aspect of our work can lead to a positive outcome. If you have the same opinion, together with the ability to meet the challenges involved, this role offers scope for immense personal fulfilment – as well as outstanding opportunities to develop your career. Oxfam is committed to providing a fair compensation package and a flexible working environment