Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to email@example.com or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Full time Chef position at the Official Accommodation of the Ambassador of Ireland, Kenya
Our mission is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic well-being of Ireland and its people.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Embassy is seeking to recruit a full-time Chef for the residence of the Ambassador of Ireland in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Residence is used for entertaining influential stakeholders from across Irish and Kenyan public life, including politicians, business people, cultural leaders and many others, as well as high profile visiting delegations from Ireland. This ranges from small meals to formal dinners and lunches, as well as major receptions and other events.
The Chef plays a crucial and high profile role in the delivery of the Irish Embassy’s business hospitality. The position is busy and highly rewarding with a requirement for high quality and distinctive catering, combining flexibility and flair.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning, preparation and delivery of all menus for official and private functions at the Residence and for events at the Embassy
- Proposing creative, appetising and innovative menus for official functions and events
- Sole responsibility for the running of the kitchen including stock management and performance that fully complies with Health and Safety standards, including newly introduced measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19
- Full responsibility for sourcing and purchasing supplies for the kitchen, with a view to minimising waste, and delivering value for money, whilst maintaining a high standard
- Monitoring of and accounting for all expenditure within set budget guidelines
- Maintaining the inventory and standard of all kitchen equipment and replenishing where necessary
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Diploma in culinary arts or similar qualification.
- Availability for flexible working hours depending on event requirements
- Excellent organisational, planning and problem-solving skills
- A flexible attitude, good judgement and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Experience in managing financial budgets and resources
- A high level of discretion, commitment and reliability
- The successful candidate must have a legal entitlement to live and work in Kenya prior to recruitment
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Knowledge of local food suppliers and an understanding of Ireland’s food culture
- Understanding of local seasonal and sustainable produce.
- Experience working in a multi-national environment.
Further details regarding the position is available by email to Nairobiem[at]dfa[dot]ie
The position is an immediate start with an initial two year fixed term contract.
How to apply:
Applications must be submitted in English by email only to the following email address: nairobiem[at]dfa[dot]ie The email should contain the subject line RECRUITMENT CHEF and must be no larger than 15MB. Please include a copy of any culinary certificates or qualifications. The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm on December 04. The application must contain:
- Letter of motivation (1 page max) addressing your suitability for the position and interest in working with the Embassy of Ireland
- CV/résumé (2 pages max)
- Two nominated referees with contact details
- Copies of professional references and relevant professional qualifications scanned into one PDF attachment
- All emails received will be acknowledged. Shortlisting of candidates is part of the process. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Depending on response rates the deadline may be extended
- Interviews are provisionally expected to be held in December.
Terms and conditions of employment:
Starting date: January/ February 2021
Contract duration: 2 year contract
Working hours: Full-time (40 hours)
Salary; 708,432 gross per year.
Annual increments may apply upon completion of a successful performance review.
Annual Leave: 21 days annual leave per year
Probationary period: 6 months
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff:
Police vetting will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Embassy of Ireland is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.