Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Position Title: Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Direct Supervisor: Country Representative
Supervises: No one, dotted line to accountability officers/assistants in the Area Program locations
Contract Duration: Annual Fixed Term
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centered and community- based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
LWF is one of the implementing partners of the UNHCR in Kakuma and Dadaab refugee camps in Kenya and provides assistance to returnees and IDPs in Kismayu, Somalia.
The Kenya-Somalia Country Program of the LWF World Service provides assistance and protection to refugees in Kakuma and Dadaab refugee camps in Kenya and to returnees, IDPs and vulnerable host community members in Kismayu, Somalia. LWF’s programmatic areasis on pre-primary and primary education, asylum seeker reception center management, youth development and protection, social cohesion and protection as well as services for persons with special needs. LWF supports also the host community through livelihoods and WASH related interventions.
Purpose of the position
Overall purpose of the position
The Risk Management and Compliance Officer will assist the LWF Kenya-Somalia program, including finance, program, procurement, HR, admin, and logistics teams, in ensuring all LWF Kenya and Somalia operations are implemented within LWF and donor guidelines and host government legislation, with a risk informed approach as per audit findings and Country Program Risk Matrix. The Officer will also be the focal person for the Country Program on complaints handling matters.
Key duties and responsibilities
Risk Management and Compliance
- Design, Implement and maintain testing systems to ensure that all Kenya and Somalia offices staff, management and oversight bodies act in accordance, and have due processes, as stipulated by the regulatory framework, including laws, LWF Code of Conduct, organizational policies and manuals.
- Assist LWF Kenya and Somalia field offices and country head office staffs in developing recommendations and action points to improve on control weaknesses and breaches of policies and procedures identified;
- Carry out internal compliance assessments and audits to ensure that LWF and donor guidelines are implemented and upheld, and that the findings are captured in a risk register/issues log.
- Provide advice to the LWF Kenya Somalia program, including finance, procurement, HR, admin, and program teams, in ensuring proper workflow, filing, and archiving of key documents is in place.
- Coordinate and schedule necessary training of finance and non-finance staff to ensure that LWF and donor requirements are understood.
- Work closely with the different departments in Country Office and Area Program levels in counter fraud measures to address fraud risk.
- Conduct partner capacity assessments and reviews, and flag high-risk concerns to management and ensure mechanisms are in place to monitor for sub-contracted partners and follow up on high-risk areas.
- Induct partner organizations in LWF rules and relevant donor requirements, and ensure program and finance staff are monitoring adequately partner organizations’ performance for compliance.
- Maintain audit recommendations tracking sheet and ensure timely reminders and follow up with managements for implementation of the recommended actions.
- Provide instruction on compliance issues at project kick-off meetings
- Support Management during start up or field office closures to flag and identify potential risks and areas of exposure to management.
- Take lead and coordinate capacity, systems and risk assessments required by donors.
- Conduct investigations and report on findings to alleged staff misconduct as guided by the Country Representative. Provide guidance to accountability officers and/or other staff on the ground on investigations techniques and guidelines.
- Maintain secure filing and archiving for complaints log, investigation reports.
Carry out any other relevant tasks as given by the Country Representative.
Education, expertise and skills required
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting
- Audit background; preferably Certified Fraud Examiner
- Proven experience of minimum 3 years in working with major humanitarian and development donors, such as UNHCR, UNICEF, ECHO, EU, BPRM, among others
- Experience in investigating both fraud and sexual exploitation and abuse cases
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in excel is a key requirement
- Excellent people relations and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Commitment to accountable practices
- Fluent in written and spoken English
An impeccable professional standard of ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance within the LWF World Service and donor policies and procedures is essential.
Deadline for application: 09 May 2021
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
LWF World Service is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation.
LWF World Service is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies.
Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect the organization’s commitment to the prevention of abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries.