Get a free C.V. review by sending your C.V. to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the following link. Submit C.V.! use the subject heading REVIEW.
IMPORTANT: Read the application instructions keenly, Never pay for a job interview or application.
Click the Links Below to Get Job Updates.
Conservation International (CI), the Pew Charitable Trusts (Pew), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), and other private partners have joined together to launch the Blue Nature Alliance (the Alliance) with the aim to catalyze actions to conserve 18 million square kilometers of ocean (approximately 5 percent of the global ocean) to safeguard global ocean biodiversity, build resilience to climate change, promote human wellbeing, and enhance ecosystem connectivity and function. The Blue Nature Alliance aims to invest in approximately 40-60 ocean conservation areas globally by 2025. The Blue Nature Alliance is also investing in Growing the Field of ocean conservation at scale through investments in Conservation Science, Conservation Finance, Policy, and Capacity Development, and Learning. The Alliance is organized as a Network Team with a goal of creating a cross-cutting and collaborative approach that is goal-orientated with shared values and that encourages an open flow of information and a shared responsibility for decision-making. The Capacity Development and Learning component of Growing the Field is guided by the Capacity Development and Learning Delivery Team, which has developed and is now implementing a Capacity Development and Learning (CDL) Framework and relevant elements of the Alliance work plan.
The Capacity Development and Learning Manager will be part of the fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic Alliance Network Team that aims to make an outsized impact on the ocean. The position will report to the Blue Nature Alliance Technical Advisor within the Center for Oceans at Conservation International.
The Capacity Development and Learning Manager will be responsible for supporting the implementation of the Alliance Capacity Development and Learning (CDL) Framework and relevant elements of the Alliance work plan under the supervision and guidance of the Alliance Technical Advisor and the CDL Delivery Team. This will include supporting, and in some cases leading efforts to understand needs and successes of all Alliance and Large-Scale MPA sites, identifying and inventorying tools, approaches, and practitioners, and mobilizing them to help support key capacity development needs; identifying and filling gaps in capacity and tools; networking and learning from ocean conservation initiatives at scale; documenting and sharing lessons learned to help strengthen the management of partner sites and the field of large scale ocean conservation overall. The CDL Framework and work plan also include elements on collaboration and knowledge management that the CDL Manager will help to support.
The CDL Manager will regularly collaborate with the Alliance site engagement team that oversees and advances all Alliance site-based work and the Alliance GEF Manager that will also be working to advance key priorities on capacity development and learning. This will include contributing to engagement with GEF learning networks (including IW and LME Learn Networks) on behalf of the Alliance, drafting and disseminating lessons learned, developing and maintaining a knowledge management system, and other relevant duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated technical proficiency in international environmental policy, marine science, or related field.
- 4 to 6 years of experience in conservation capacity building and learning for marine conservation projects.
- Experience with development of capacity development and learning tools.
- Experience in managing and/or supporting complex conservation and/or international development projects.
- Technical understanding of marine conservation and specifically Marine Protected Areas.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Solid attention to detail.
- Master’s degree in Conservation or a related field.
- Passion for nature and the ocean.
- Experience working or living internationally.
- Experience in Knowledge Management.
- Proficiency and experience working with Microsoft Office collaboration tools.
- Fluency in Spanish, French, Portuguese, or other languages.
- Experience in document layout and design.
CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT: With guidance from the Blue Nature Alliance Technical Advisor, the Alliance Network Team, and the CDL Delivery Team, the CDL Manager will be responsible for:
Supporting and in some cases leading aspects of the implementation of the Blue Nature Alliance Framework and Workplan for Capacity Development and Learning. This will include the following key tasks:
- Assisting in the coordination of the CDL Delivery Team.
- Working across the Alliance Network Team to develop and deploy tools and approaches to understand the capacity development needs of Alliance sites and of the field of ocean conservation at scale overall.
- Providing direct capacity development support to Alliance sites including organizing and/or delivering training and mentoring on key ocean conservation topics.
- Collaborating with existing and future Alliance partners on capacity development, learning, collaboration, and knowledge management. These partners include the Big Ocean learning network as well as regional capacity development hubs, such as the Western Indian Ocean Science Association (WIOMSA) that are supported by the Alliance. Additional partnerships will be developed over time. Collaboration with these partners may include:
- Supporting the delivery of key capacity development assistance to Alliance sites.
- Developing capacity development tools and approaches to fill gaps in major capacity needs.
- Organizing learning exchanges with Alliance sites and partners.
- Assisting in identifying needed curriculum to improve capacity development outcomes and in some cases contributing to the development of key curricula.
- Facilitating linkages, mentoring, and collaboration between practitioners of ocean conservation at scale.
- Helping to inventory capacity-building tools, approaches, and practitioners that can help to advance ocean conservation at scale.
- Participating in and in some cases leading development and delivery of key capacity development tools and approaches.
- Identifying and leading key elements of the Capacity Development program where the Manager’s expertise and interest will allow them to play a leadership role.
Other relevant duties as assigned.
LEARNING: With guidance from the Blue Nature Alliance Technical Advisor and the Alliance Network Team, and the CDL Delivery Team the CDL Manager will be responsible for:
- Working with site partners to identify, document, and share lessons learned on effective approaches in ocean conservation at scale
- Collaborating with the Alliance GEF Manager to engage with GEF learning networks (including IW and LME Learn Networks) on behalf of the Blue Nature Alliance,
- Drafting and disseminating lessons learned from across the Alliance implementation including sites and Growing the Field.
- Supporting key learning mechanisms including learning networks such as the Big Ocean network and other regional hubs for capacity building and learning.
- Collaborating with other Alliance Delivery Teams to develop and maintain a knowledge management system to share key lessons from the Alliance for internal and external audiences.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
COLLABORATION WITH KEY ALLIANCE STAFF TO PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT: With guidance from the Blue Nature Alliance Technical Advisor, the Alliance Network Team, and the CDL Delivery Team, the CDL Manager will provide technical support to the Alliance as needed. Specific responsibilities will vary depending on the needs of Alliance and the skillset and experience of the CDL Manager. Responsibilities may include:
- Supporting sites scoping including initial desktop assessments of potential Alliance sites.
- Managing Blue Nature Alliance data and supporting monitoring and evaluation.
- Supporting implementation of Alliance safeguard policies as relevant in Capacity Development and Learning work.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.